Substrate help!!??

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
So a while back I took my tortoise to the vet (he had a viral infection) and I couldn't keep the temps high enough in the winter in his table so was advised to switch to a Viv as he was too poorly to hibernate. He is now 100% better and with temps getting warmer I want to switch him to his table as it's a lot bigger space for him to roam. But as he was poorly iv totally emptied the table of substrate and disinfected with reptile disinfectant and thoroughly cleaned everything just to be safe.

Sorry for long story.... But my question is:
I had him on cypress mulch, but the vet was dead against it as he said it was dangerous because if ingested it can cause compaction and he advised me to use a sand/soil mix. But..... After hearing all the horror stories about sand I don't want to use it. I thought cypress mulch was the most effective substrate!!?? What do I do!?

Ps. He is a 5year old horsfield tortoise. He has a large table but when the weather allows it he also has an outdoor enclosure.

Any advice appreciated!!

Chenderson

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, Blackpool
Maybe Coco coir would be a good alternative if you don't want to use Cypress mulch. I personally use Cypress Mulch/Sphagnum moss for my Redfoot, and everybody raves about how good it is.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Ah yeh, sorry, I think coco coir was what I was using and the vet said not too. I get it mixed up with cypress mulch...I thought they were the same thing? Sorry this is prob a really dull question!!

Chenderson

Lancashire, Blackpool

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Unfortunately vets give bad info on husbandry. Coco coir is one of the best options. Orchid batk or Cyprus mulch are also very good. Sand is one of the worst. Not only does it cause impactation if ingested, it does not hold humidity.