Substrate help

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
Hi, in order to have a good esthetic result I want to use a white sand of Sarah as substrate.
Could it cause problems?

sopo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So Central OK
Sand isn't good.... can cause impaction if they accidently digest some.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The goal should be the best and closest to what they would have in the wild. The best for young ones is coconut coir, high humidity and temps no lower then 80. Please read Toms threads below of proper housing of a leopard to raise it healthy and smooth. The sulcata threads apply to leopards. No sand. It causes impactions.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
wellington said:
The goal should be the best and closest to what they would have in the wild. The best for young ones is coconut coir, high humidity and temps no lower then 80. Please read Toms threads below of proper housing of a leopard to raise it healthy and smooth. The sulcata threads apply to leopards. No sand. It causes impactions.

Actually, the goal should be 'optimal' conditions as "natural " conditions would also confer " natural" mortality rates. Plus, I am unaware of any place that leopards walk around on ground up coconut husks.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Better than native is right on. I do use coco coir, to keep my humidity level at 80 percent. Sand, bleh. Impactions are not fun and they are costly. Leopard tortoises in the wild are not in a stark sandy desert, they are in savannah like conditions.
Keep your baby hydrated. That is very key. Soaks are the bomb. Warm little spa ... aha!

Here are some images of leopards in Africa, below. Lotsa grasses, lots of humidity when they hide in those pallets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=leo...bih=576#q=leopard+tortoise+in+africa&tbm=isch

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
zenoandthetortoise said:
wellington said:

Actually, the goal should be 'optimal' conditions as "natural " conditions would also confer " natural" mortality rates. Plus, I am unaware of any place that leopards walk around on ground up coconut husks.

Really, splitting hairs. They don't walk on the ground, really, they sure don't fly. We can only do with what is available. The best available is coir, or dirt. It's sure not white sand.

erica anne

5 Year Member
wellington said:
zenoandthetortoise said:
wellington said:

Really, splitting hairs. They don't walk on the ground, really, they sure don't fly. We can only do with what is available. The best available is coir, or dirt. It's sure not white sand.

Lol. Agreed.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Actually I wasn't splitting hairs, advocating sand or suggesting that tortoises fly (brilliant observation, by the way). I was correcting your misuse of the word 'natural' and supplying you with an appropriate word.
You're welcome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"...ground up coconut husks..." Wellington!!! Not "ground". LOL!!

Bottom line - sand = no good!

If a tortoise is well hydrated sand might not be such a problem, but we can't be sure a tortoise is drinking enough to be well hydrated, so its better to not use sand of any type. Even the calci-sands touted as being good for reptiles.