Substrate mixture?

Kells Bells

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Hi everyone:) sorry for asking something that's been talked through a lot before. I recently became the proud owner of a 5 year red foot who didn't have the best life. He had been raised on lino. I originally put him on coco coir but he got it in his eyes and with him scratching at them he got a bad eye infection (see photo :() thankfully it's completely cleared up now after changing to orchid bark and getting eye drops from the vet. I have ordered cypress mulch now aswell. My question is because I know coco coir is so good for humidity could i use it on the bottom then a layer of bark and then cypress mulch on the top? I'm worried about using the coco coir again but with 2 different layers on top would this help to keep it away from his eyes?

Attachments

• IMG-20181007-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20181007-WA0025.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 29
Lewisville, Texas
Hi everyone:) sorry for asking something that's been talked through a lot before. I recently became the proud owner of a 5 year red foot who didn't have the best life. He had been raised on lino. I originally put him on coco coir but he got it in his eyes and with him scratching at them he got a bad eye infection (see photo :() thankfully it's completely cleared up now after changing to orchid bark and getting eye drops from the vet. I have ordered cypress mulch now aswell. My question is because I know coco coir is so good for humidity could i use it on the bottom then a layer of bark and then cypress mulch on the top? I'm worried about using the coco coir again but with 2 different layers on top would this help to keep it away from his eyes?

I had the same problem with my baby sully before he passed. if you really piled up the orchid bark/cypress mulch on top it should theoretically stay out of the tortoises eyes, however I don’t really see a point in using it if you’re also using mulch, which holds humidity pretty well

Kells Bells

Ireland
I had the same problem with my baby sully before he passed. if you really piled up the orchid bark/cypress mulch on top it should theoretically stay out of the tortoises eyes, however I don’t really see a point in using it if you’re also using mulch, which holds humidity pretty well
Thank you for the quick reply! I just wasn't sure as I've never used the mulch before and I still had a bag of coir. But i would happily bin it as I don't want to hurt the wee fella :) do you advise using the mulch by itself?

Lewisville, Texas
Thank you for the quick reply! I just wasn't sure as I've never used the mulch before and I still had a bag of coir. But i would happily bin it as I don't want to hurt the wee fella :) do you advise using the mulch by itself?
My poor baby passed away before i could institute it into his enclosure, but I’ve heard good things from everyone who’s talked about using it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like to use orchid bark. Since orchids are very sensitive plants, the bark manufactured for their growing medium is quite clean, free of pesticides, insecticides and other garbage than might be in the manufacturer's compost pile. Some people just use regular fir bark (that's what orchid bark is), but I prefer the fir bark that's aimed towards orchids because I know it's clean.

Maybe you can leave the coco coir, pat it down firmly with the palm of your hand then add a thick layer of bark over the top (patting it down too). Be sure to wet everything thoroughly.

Kells Bells

Ireland
Hi Yvonne :) after the eye incident I took the coir out and he's just on the bark now. But i do have cypress mulch which was delivered today. So I have a leftover bag of coir, half bag of orchid bark and full bag of mulch I'm surrounded by substrate :confused: I'm very wary of going back to coir so do you think bark at the bottom and mulch at the top or vice versa?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of the reasons I like the small grade orchid bark is because my indoor enclosures are mainly for babies, or small animals. The orchid bark is smaller chunks and easier for babies to walk on.

Because your tortoise is five years old, and probably fairly full grown, either substrate would be ok to use. I don't see the need to use both, unless you need both bags for volume.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Redfoot use Orchid bark with potting soil on top.(for hatchlings indoors)
The orchid bark absorbs the liquid. Giving off humidity and leaving the upper soil layer relatively dry.
We are satisfied that the eye issue was from the coco coir?
I've never used it. But I've seen eye issues caused by other things....
I just noticed you have a sub adult RF.
I agree with @Yvonne G. Just the bark alone would be fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Orchid bark tends to be pure.
Not so much cypress mulch. Very often mulch has all sorts of extra debris in it.
I use it in my outdoors pen and always pay attention as I pour it out.
I find plastic. Even metal in it.

Kells Bells

Ireland
Orchid bark tends to be pure.
Not so much cypress mulch. Very often mulch has all sorts of extra debris in it.
I use it in my outdoors pen and always pay attention as I pour it out.
I find plastic. Even metal in it.
Thank you:)! Yeah it was definitely the coir as he had grains over his eyes and was scratching both poor thing had been raised on lino when I had put him into his new enclosure he was very confused he ran head first into a little hill I had created:rolleyes: straight after that the eye issues started thankfully it's all cleared up now. Thanks again 100% orchid bark it is!

Kells Bells

Ireland
Thank you:)! Yeah it was definitely the coir as he had grains over his eyes and was scratching both poor thing had been raised on lino when I had put him into his new enclosure he was very confused he ran head first into a little hill I had created:rolleyes: straight after that the eye issues started thankfully it's all cleared up now. Thanks again 100% orchid bark it is!

Attachments

• 20181031_081307.jpg
    20181031_081307.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19