Substrate: Natural Critter Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachgirlartist

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
I haven't had my sulcatas inside for quite some time (4 yrs) because they are large and live outside now. But, I have 13 hatchlings. So, I have them set up in what used to be the terrarium for my two now adults.
Anyway, the substrate I had used back then and am using again now is called "Natural Critter Care" and it's this fluffy recycled material of some sort. It's grey. I always thought it was good before bc it's absorbant and you can basically pick poo and right out of there. It's also good for burrowing.
I noticed a little dust though when I stirred it up tonight to heap some on top of a 3rd burrow that I made out of a coffee can. I can post a photo if you like.
But, I'm just hoping that there's nothing harmful in this. It's just the dust that I saw tonight that got me to wondering a bit. This substrate can actually be bought at WalMart, so very convenient.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 004 cropped.jpg
    004 cropped.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 115

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would not use that as substrate. You can get other stuff at Walmart like sphagnum peat moss that is a much better option. Or you can get organic soil from Home Depot or Lowes, or coco coir from the pet store. All are much better options.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
DrewsLife727 said:
I wouldnt use that. My favorite is coco coir and cypress bark mulch.

Mine too I have used both and they work great. You should get a different type of substrate like coco coir and other already mentioned

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I would switch to a diff substrate too. In the meantime, spray the substrate with water occasionally.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
Doesn't coconut coir come in bricks??? How do you use that as substrate???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That stuff is too dry and it's an impaction risk. You are going to cause your babies to pyramid using that sort of stuff. Back in the old days, when you got your current adults, the thinking of the day was to keep them dry and simulate the above ground conditions of the 8 or 9 month African dry season. There are two problems with this. 1. Babies don't just walk around in the above ground dry air during the dry season. If they did, they'd be eaten by any number of predators and they would desiccate and dry out. 2. Babies hatch out during the 3 or 4 month rainy season. Conditions are hot, humid, rainy and marshy. THESE are the conditions that grow healthy, smooth sulcata babies. Two decades of raising baby sulcatas have shown this to be true.

Click the links in my signature for more info.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
So what substrate should I use when I make his buyer enclosure??v I'm using cypress mulch now but I want something softer that he can walk on and burrow into. Any advice if not coco coir???

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
samiburke said:
So what substrate should I use when I make his buyer enclosure??v I'm using cypress mulch now but I want something softer that he can walk on and burrow into. Any advice if not coco coir???

If you really want him to burrow easily I would go with coco coir.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I think Tom was referring to the substrate you have in the photo. Coconut coir or coconut fiber is great! My guys love it and I can plant grass right in it. They have burrowed in it just fine. I still put the Cyprus mulch around the water dish to help keep the coco fiber out and in the sunning areas cause it warms up faster.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
Eweezyfosheezy said:
If you really want him to burrow easily I would go with coco coir.

Yep use coco coir buy the 3 pack of bricks it is cheaper soak each one for 20 min in like a bucket whit 1 gallon of water per brick

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
Okay I get the soaking part but I mus be stupid because I can't understand how the bricks will be substrate if they're bricks and an enclosure has a few cubic feet of ground to cover. So how does it spread out like the mulch???

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
samiburke said:
Okay I get the soaking part but I mus be stupid because I can't understand how the bricks will be substrate if they're bricks and an enclosure has a few cubic feet of ground to cover. So how does it spread out like the mulch???

After soaking and expanding, they are easy to break apart into loose material. I think it is more equitable to soil than mulch.

danosaurous

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
samiburke said:

Your not stupid! I thought the same thing when I first used it :) like others are saying, just soak the brick in water and it will soften, break it up and spread it out. It feels like soft soil. I think of it as one one if the 'grows in water' toys from when I was a kid! The Brick grows into lots of soil :) haha

Status
Not open for further replies.