Substrate question

TSchadel

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
hi all! I'm in the process of having a bigger inside habitat made for Irwin (compliments of my bro-in-law carpenter) as my boy is growing quickly.
My question is about substrate. I currently have 3" of regular old dirt mixed with coco fiber in his habitat now. I also have some small rocks and several basking rocks. Is there another option for the dirt/fiber mixture or is this a good combo?
Any advice would be awesome!
I'm also in the process of getting his outside area ready for when summer comes. I've somehow convinced my brother to take a week off of work and drive from Colorado to help me! Irwin sure made an impression on him when he was out here

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
I will - thanks :)
I was also reading that play sand mixed with coco fiber would be good. Any opinion?
Absolutely no sand! Orchid bark or fir bark would be best. Mixing substrates is not necessary. Coco coir is good if you can deal with how messy it is. I've actually had white fuzzy mold start to grow on top of it from the high humidity. That's why I switched. Fir or orchid is so much easier to deal with and works better too.

TSchadel

Kansas
Absolutely no sand! Orchid bark or fir bark would be best. Mixing substrates is not necessary. Coco coir is good if you can deal with how messy it is. I've actually had white fuzzy mold start to grow on top of it from the high humidity. That's why I switched. Fir or orchid is so much easier to deal with and works better too.
Irwin likes to dig - that's why I mix with good ole mother earth dirt. He is sooo funny to watch when the dirt gets to flying. I will look into the fir or orchrd - but I don't mind the coco fiber. thanks!!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would stick with Your current mix. No sand. It is an impactation risk, if ingested.