Substrate question

AquaIce

Location (City and/or State)
Dunlap, IN
Ok so, I am new to all of this and have only had rabbits, sugar gliders and tarantulas as exotics so bare with me. We have a baby redfoot. I got Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate for my baby read foot (that's what we use for our tarantulas) and he likes it more then the bark chips because he LOVES to dig and hide in it. I have been seeing people talk about orchid bark or coco coir which I have never seen around here or heard of. Is the eco earth going to be ok? Also having issues with humidity but were grabbing some this weekend. He is in my profile picture if you would like to see him. I will post more picture later I am at work and don't have any on here. Its also a 20 gallon tank with a screened lid with a 10.0 florescent UVB, ceramic 60w heat and a 100W regular bulb which helps a lot with keeping the heat where I need it to be. He has a Med size water bowl he can get into if needed located close to the heat to help with humidity. I have been soaking him 20 min nightly just to make sure he doesn't get to dehydrated since I am having humidity issues. He eats very well. When we soak him he does drink.

Thanks for any ideas or help :):<3::tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eco Earth = Coco coir.

What type of florescent UV bulb? The cfl type or the long tube type?

The key to holding in heat and humidity is to use a closed chamber. Open topped enclosures allow all your heat and humidity to escape up and into the drier cooler room air, and force you to use a lot more desiccating electric heat to maintain warm temps.

I think a 20 gallon is too small. I prefer to start babies in a minimum of 40 gallons, but typically 100 gallon sized tanks. A closed chamber with around 2x4' of floor space works great. You can buy one or build your own.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
Eco Earth = Coco coir.

What type of florescent UV bulb? The cfl type or the long tube type?

The key to holding in heat and humidity is to use a closed chamber. Open topped enclosures allow all your heat and humidity to escape up and into the drier cooler room air, and force you to use a lot more desiccating electric heat to maintain warm temps.

I think a 20 gallon is too small. I prefer to start babies in a minimum of 40 gallons, but typically 100 gallon sized tanks. A closed chamber with around 2x4' of floor space works great. You can buy one or build your own.

I just know it is a 10.0 UVB and its a long tube florescent 24 inch. This is also just a temporary until we can get our outdoor and indoor ones made. I am now learning that open topped are not the best I am going to close the non lights side in with foil when I get home today. Tom do you feel like the moss will help with the humidity? I don't want to flood it because I read that's not good for red foots? I can get a picture of the set up later when I get a chance I am in banking and this is a crazy week. I was thinking of a fogger/humidifier but I don't know of I want to go that route. Humidity is only 50/60 lowest / highest

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I use peat moss for my substrate. It is much cheaper and works just as well as the coco core. Just make sure there is nothing added to the peat, such as perlite or chemical, etc. Just a suggestion!

Bambam1989

East Texas
I use coco coir that came in an 11pound compressed brick, no additives... I got it from my local Walmart, they had it mislabeled for $3 a brick. I bought all they had on the shelf [emoji16]

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
Ok so don’t mind the hide it’s temp till this weekend he will be getting a taracotta or how ever you spell it lol plant pot. He is such a good eater :) @Tom so how do I fix this to work for now and I am getting Moss this weekend. Or anyone else with ideas feel free to chime in please. 3D52E5C7-720A-4CB8-A61F-FEA3BCD4719C.jpeg535CB114-6489-494F-8A44-89D01843F3DD.jpeg1C82BD82-BA92-4A95-9186-1AE7B8C8361B.jpegB65BF401-96FC-45B2-A7C4-33F4811637C2.jpeg7D555DEF-8379-4646-BCD9-611E5608B576.jpeg

Ghazan

5 Year Member
You have to cover the whole top with plastic or foil and seal it with tape if possible. Cut out holes for the lights. Also theres no humid hide with some damp moss that will help and add some water to the substrate, just pour it in, looks a little dry ...good luck