Substrate

marissab

I have coco coir for my tortoise, but I want to see if there is a substrate that is more accessible to me and can be found at places like Ace hardware or home depot- I've heard of people using cypress mulch, does this work well? I'd like to try something new

Last edited:

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
Really there is no hard and fast rule. try it mixed , try it separate, see what you like see what your tort likes , see what works.

Okay...just didn't know if one was safer than the other. We are new here and have only had our little guy for 3 days.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
It's okay nothing wrong with gathering info. I have one Russian on cypress now I like it because it's very absorbent and you can build things out of it like burrows and hills. I have my other two russians on repti bark, it doesn't pile up or stack when wet but it has a nice smell and seems to stay dryer on top and wetter on the bottom. They seem to like them both about the same. Russians really want to be humid I feel. Mine get very dry and burrow/ hide if their humidity is below 70 .

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
It's okay nothing wrong with gathering info. I have one Russian on cypress now I like it because it's very absorbent and you can build things out of it like burrows and hills. I have my other two russians on repti bark, it doesn't pile up or stack when wet but it has a nice smell and seems to stay dryer on top and wetter on the bottom. They seem to like them both about the same. Russians really want to be humid I feel. Mine get very dry and burrow/ hide if their humidity is below 70 .

Thank you! We have humidy gauge in there, so this is good to know!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer orchid bark for adult Testudo species. You can't get it in bulk at HD, but most garden centers sell it in 2.0 cu.ft. bags for about $10.