Success Story

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I wanted to share a success story in case others out there have a similar problem. I recieved a call from a girl who took one of my babies a while ago. They baby was about 5 months old and she had him for a while. She said he was becoming less active and he wasn't using his rear leg. I talked her through checking all the basics which she said were correct. We maintained contact over the next two weeks where she kept telling me his condition was getting worse and worse. Again, using the knowledge and help on this forum I had her check out everything. I finally got a call from her mom saying she couldn't handle this sick baby anymore, so I met her and took the baby back, thinking it would die based on the updates I was getting.

Initial condition was mixed. He was very attentive, no obvious injury, but his plastron was very, very soft. He ate and drank well also. With some help and guidance from the forum I started trying to fix the perceived problem of calcium deficiency. The poor guy couldn't walk. didn't have strength to even lift himself. I put in a new UVB bulb and got him outside in the direct sunlight as much as possible. We felt sorry for him because he would try to move but couldn't, so my sons would move him around the enclosure throughout the day to give him a change. I added extra calcium to the diet and put a piece of slate in the enclosure for him to sit on instead of soft coir.

I didn't see much change for 2 weeks. He ate well, pooped, soaked and stayed attentive. I noticed he moved around a little during the soaks, and pretty soon he moved around on the slate because it was hard enough to support him. Also, during this time, One of my other clutches hatched, so he was surrounded by little babies crawling everywhere, which may have helped also. In the last few days, he is now crawling around the enclosure on the coir and is mobile again. I'll continue the diet and UVB until his little legs are strong again, but it looks like he will survive fine.

Hopefully this will help others who may find themselves in a similar bad situation. Don't give up, these little guys are really tough.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man thats great news! If you have this little guy come March I would like to buy him from you .

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
mike taylor said:
Man thats great news! If you have this little guy come March I would like to buy him from you .

I would like to find him a good home once he gets a little stronger, he/she is a great little tort. We'll keep in touch as this progresses along.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
It's like we said in the other section . Torts eat grass , carry their house on their back , and live 150 yrs . They are different !

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
That is good to hear. The two I got from you are doing great. The split scute one, Wedge, is a little pistol. He eats everything in site but runs around so much he hasn't grown more than a quarter inch and only gained about 10 - 15 grams. I don't know where he puts it all. The other one, #4, I never see him eat and he sleeps all day and yet, he is almost the same size as my 6 month old. He has doubled in size and almost 2.5 times in weight since I got him from you. Doesn't even look like the same tortoise. the only way I know someone didn't sneek in and switch him is the Krytonian shield looking scute on his left shoulder, lol. #4's new growth is all white by the way. He has lost all of his dark tan color that is so unique in your babies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Awesome story and a great reminder. :) These guys can have such a will to live, if we just give them our best help. Glad the entire family got into the action of helping him.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Success Story

Greg T said:
mike taylor said:

I would like to find him a good home once he gets a little stronger, he/she is a great little tort. We'll keep in touch as this progresses along.

You know where to find me . I'll be sitting on my tortoise pen gate waiting to hear from you .

featherator

Southern California
Thanks for sharing your story, great lesson. Knowing what they need to thrive and giving the little tike best conditions saved it's life!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Great story! Thank you so much for sharing [HEAVY BLACK HEART]️[TURTLE]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love these kinds of endings. So, do you think it was lack of calcium? UVB?
Also, just a thought as I was reading this. What is anyone's opinion on a tort that does not have the strength like this one to walk or even lift up, about soaking them in deep water so they have too move the legs too stay afloat? Of course under supervision so it doesn't drown, but wouldn't it help in keeping its strength and muscle conditioned? Or. Do you think it would be too stressful for a tort that is already fighting to stay alive?
Keep us posted on his continues recovery.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I really didn't know what it was, so I based my decision on the very soft plastron at first. It had to be the extra calicium and UVB that has helped because that is the only difference I have made. I was never able to confirm how it was raised, but I shared my findings with the previous owner and they said they would buy a UVB ligt and start calcium supplements, so that seems to help support a calcium deficiency. I'm just very happy he is doing better and hope others can learn from this experience too.

wellington said:
Also, just a thought as I was reading this. What is anyone's opinion on a tort that does not have the strength like this one to walk or even lift up, about soaking them in deep water so they have too move the legs too stay afloat? Of course under supervision so it doesn't drown, but wouldn't it help in keeping its strength and muscle conditioned? Or. Do you think it would be too stressful for a tort that is already fighting to stay alive?

mikeh

5 Year Member
I am curious, what species is the tort?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Success Story

wellington said:

Tortoise rehab?? :) :)

I like the idea...I wonder the same thing about staying them out though!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Greg T said:
mikeh said:
I am curious, what species is the tort?

He is one of my baby leopards.

What a story! I'm glad to hear there has been so much improvement. I'm guessing this is one of the clutch mates to my Beans and Watson? That guess based on the age of the hatchling?
My little guys are doing extremely well and are making Freckles look a little runty. Their personalities are just awesome.