Sufficient Space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! I'm brainstorming a new habitat on my patio for my 6 inch Leo. I've included a photo of the patio with her on it to find out if you all think there is sufficient space to turn it into a Leo habitat (I don't keep her out there yet).
Also, any suggestions on how to do it?

image-834961688.png

I was thinking of covering the patio with reptile carpet for starters and building a wall around the patio itself?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I like that you included the tortoise in the picture. It gives us a much better read on the size of the whole thing. That would be a great place for a tortoise. Does the sun ever shine in there?

If you didn't want to put a layer of substrate over the cement, you could lay down some indoor/outdoor carpet squares. This would make it easier on the tortoise's plastron.

You can sink a water saucer down into the dirt in the flower bed. Add a couple of hiding places.

I like it. I think it will work nicely.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I agree, I like that you put your little one in there as reference.
I'm too wondering about sun and temps.
I think the space looks good, I think you mentioned before that it was hard getting outside daily (could be mistaken!) with the right set up this could be better than the alternative.

Is that soil on that far side? Jealous! You'll get to plant right in it, awesome.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
The patio gets about 3 to 4 solid hours of sunshine here every morning and for the rest of the day it's hot and humid.

That is soil, but I need to figure out how to correct the 3 inch drop off the patio!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just add more soil. And if you take a shovel and turn the soil, it causes it to fluff up. Then you can grade it so it starts at the cement line and slopes away.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Recommendations on what to plant after I fix the gradient? Also, what to put around on the patio after the carpet tiles? Shelter?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know where you live or your weather patterns, but hosta is a good shade-loving plant and is edible. Also edible are any of the pansy/viola plants. If the area is too bright/hot for those plants, then maybe some succulants like jade (crassula), elephant bush (portulacaria afra), any of the echiveria (hen and chicks). Just don't buy succulents in the euphorbia family. The sap is toxic.

They sell little half logs at pet stores made for hiding places. Also, if you look in the rabbit/guinea pig section, they have some pretty cute little houses in there too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got some Testudo mix seeds from Tyler that has been growing great for me. I bet it would work in that spot for you too.

If you built a box out there and then put in heat mat or CHE on a thermostat, you could use the patio area even longer, since your tortoise would have a warm spot to go to. I'm thinking on those nights when you go it for dinner or something. It might still be warm when you are leaving, but you know it will get cool before you get home. A heated box would allow you to just leave him out there since he can retreat to the warmer area as the sun goes down and temps cool. By the same token, you could put him out in his box on some of those cool mornings, when you have an early call time, and he can stay in the warm box until the sun is up and he's able to bask.

This is great. One of my favorite things to do is build or create new and large areas for my tortoises to roam and then watch them in action. A few potted plants would work well out there tooand make him feel a little more secure. You could grow some cactus pads or maybe some hibiscus... Have fun with it... :)

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Tom said:
If you built a box out there and then put in heat mat or CHE on a thermostat

I'm going to be picking your brain soon when we get to start on Echo's table!

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I got some Testudo mix seeds from Tyler that has been growing great for me. I bet it would work in that spot for you too.

If you built a box out there and then put in heat mat or CHE on a thermostat, you could use the patio area even longer. home. A heated box would allow you to just leave him out there.. :)

any designs on that box?

And what all grows from the testudo mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.