suggestions as to how i can attach uvb hood?

kimbverly

Location (City and/or State)
UT
hello everyone! i’m happy to say that i’ve made some improvements to my enclosure for my baby hermann (i estimate he is around 2 and a half or 3 months old).

i followed feedback i received from my original post (very appreciative of those who helped me out 🩷). i swapped the zoomed basking bulb with a flood light, replace the coil uvb bulb with a che set on thermostat. moved water bowl closer to che in hopes my tortoise will drink it/sit in it (i have yet to see him use his bowl voluntarily).

i want to address another point of feedback i received on my original post which is that having the lamps on top of the bin create a green house effect which leads to losing heat + humidity. i don’t intend on moving the lamps since my hygrometer and temp gun reads good temps and great humidity (sometimes reaches 99%? can that be harmful to the tortoise?)

i just need some suggestions as to how i can attach the reptisun uvb tube i purchased onto the lid of the bin. i saw a different thread where someone used zip ties to secure it. i currently don’t have any on hand right now and would like to see if there is an alternative way i can attach the hood. anyway, thank you very much for reading this! :)

Attachments

• IMG_8946.jpeg
    IMG_8946.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8947.jpeg
    IMG_8947.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8948.jpeg
    IMG_8948.jpeg
    1,022 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In the pic I copied. I marked a green and blue area. Can you it fit inone of these two areas?
You can either use wire or fine rope like clothes line rope to make like a loop on each end or the light that it can rest on, then pull the wire or rope thru small holes made in the lid
The better way would be to run two thin dowels all the way thru the tote from one side to the other, drilling holes that is just a hair larger then the dowels. Then rest the light on those dowels. Making sure the light fits just below the lid so the lid can still close all the way, but the light is as high up as possible.1000002006.png

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
How tall is the height from the lid to the substrate? You might need to take the reflector off, but @Alex and the Redfoot can advice you more on that.
This hood comes with a 5.0 lamp. Should be safe to use at 11-12" between the lamp and substrate. In this fixture the reflector is not removable, as I remember.

I like "green" placement position suggested by Wellington more than "blue".