Suggestions Please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBennillers

5 Year Member
My daughter for her 4th birthday has asked for a "dragon" which in her world is any type of lizard. Any one have any suggestions on a good lizard pet for a young child? I'm sure most of the actual handling of the lizard would be from the older members of the household as I wouldn't want any detached tails laying around.

Here are a few requirements: we don't want anything that is going to get too big. Nothing that is known for biting (when threatened is understandable) or being aggressive.. and nothing that will need to be fed anything with fur.

We were thinking crested geckos... but they seem to be hard to find around here... (is shipping them in July safe? It's above 90 here today).
Any other suggestions?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
First thing that comes to mind is a Leopard Gecko.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would agree with leo geckos, they seem to fit your criteria.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My 12 year old just got a leopard gecko, and I just love the little guy. You should be able to get one at a good reptile store near you. We got Smallz from LLL. But ask the forum gecko experts for a shopping list before you buy anything. The stores don't always (ok almost never) sell you what is best for the critter.

TheBennillers

5 Year Member
Angi said:
My 12 year old just got a leopard gecko, and I just love the little guy. You should be able to get one at a good reptile store near you. We got Smallz from LLL. But ask the forum gecko experts for a shopping list before you buy anything. The stores don't always (ok almost never) sell you what is best for the critter.

That is a really good point!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have recently gotten my first Blue Tongue Skink after much research and waiting. Mine is only two or three weeks old, but it is fantastic. Unanimously, everyone I have asked says they are one of the easiest, friendliest, lowest maintenance reptile pets there is. Very easy to house, very easy to feed. Super docile most of the time, yet still inquisitive. I've handled lots of other peoples adults and every single one was just dog tame. I got mine, and much of my education, from Jeff G, here on the forum. The guy just could NOT be any better to deal with. I have never had a better reptile acquiring experience than I did with Jeff.

Bearded dragons are another good option. Usually not bitey, fairly easy to set up and maintain.

An individual of either of these could be maintained in a 60 gallon size tank for its whole life.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
The only problem with the Leopard Gecko is that he does not want to be handled. He seems skittish when I feed him. My son doesn't mind, but I would like to pet him and hold him. I guess you should find out if your daughter wants a pet she can hold or observe.

TheBennillers

5 Year Member
So, upon the advice gotten here we have been looking into the leopard gecko... our local Petco is going to have a "Meet a leopard gecko" weekend so I think we will plan to attend and see what kind of info they will give about them. If it goes well, they are also on sale for $14.99 here...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Another vote for a bearded dragon...leopard geckoes don't alway do well as a "handlable" pet, while beardies are very interactive.

And once tame, they stay tame, and will ride around on her shoulder for as long as she cares to hang out with it.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
My suggestion is crested gecko for sure.
I have some and they are super easy.
They need no additional, heat light, can grow perfectly healthy on a special dry food you just mix with water-Repashy and therefore don't need to get crickets etc but they sure love them for a treat.
They can be tolerant of handling if you start with short sessions.
Not inclined to bite.
Very cool .
They can lose their tail if trapped in a door enclosure etc and it will not grow back-then they are known as frog bums(i find that rather insulting)poor things:(

Cheap to set up in a glass aquarium, I use peat on the base-can use newspaper but they like a bit of humidity-we spray the plant etc and they lick up the droplets. They have no eye lids either so they lick their eyes regularly-so cool to watch them.

I think they have to be one of the easiest lizards really

Good luck deciding

Tortoise said:
My suggestion is crested gecko for sure.
I have some and they are super easy.
They need no additional, heat light, can grow perfectly healthy on a special dry food you just mix with water-Repashy and therefore don't need to get crickets etc but they sure love them for a treat.
They can be tolerant of handling if you start with short sessions.
Not inclined to bite.
Very cool .
They can lose their tail if trapped in a door enclosure etc and it will not grow back-then they are known as frog bums(i find that rather insulting)poor things:(

Cheap to set up in a glass aquarium, I use peat on the base-can use newspaper but they like a bit of humidity-we spray the plant etc and they lick up the droplets. They have no eye lids either so they lick their eyes regularly-so cool to watch them.

I think they have to be one of the easiest lizards really

Good luck deciding

P6070236 (Medium).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.