sulcata and leopard

samt23

i have a 50x40 inch wooden enclosure and i have a sulcata tortoise and i know its not a good idea to mix species but i've seen a lot of people having sulcatas and leopard tortoises on the same enclosure and they have no problems wih mixing leopard and sulcata. so what you guys think?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Species should never be mixed and tortoises should not be kept in pairs.

Behaviorally, sulcatas are normally bold bulldozers while regular leopards are usually more timid and shy.

They are not compatible in any way, and because someone somewhere did it and the tortoises are still alive, does not mean its a good thing to do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with what Tom said. You might be ok while both are still hatchlings, but the sulcata will soon grow much larger than the leopard, even in just the first year. He will 'tell' the smaller leopard to get out of his territory, but the leopard has no way to 'get out.' So it will hide in a corner, stop eating and try to keep out of the sulcata's way. This is true of pairs or any species of tortoise.

Reactions: Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Toms post. The people that do it either don't care much about their tortoises or will never tell you when it goes bad. Besides everything about it is bad and wrong, your enclosure is too small anyway. If you don't have room for two enclosures, you may not have enough room for one enclosure when they out grow the enclosure you have, which will be around two years of age if not sooner.