Sulcata Care Questions

alexag

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello! I have a four month old baby Sulcata and I was wondering if it's okay for the tortoise to be outside for a few hours rather than having a UVB light. I am looking into the UVB lighting but if the Sulcata is outside for a few hours does the tortoise still need UVB lighting? The enclosure has a heating/basking bulb and I take out the tortoise every few days to get some natural sun.
Also I am trying to change the diet to include more things. I feed Mazuri pellets mixed with clover and grass or I feed organic spring mix. Is there anything else I can give my four month Sulcata? I’ve read that hay shouldn’t be given until they’re a few years old, so what can I replace for that?

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as temps outside is 80 or above. A sulcata should not be in temps lower than 80-85. But yes, you can do with a uv light if he can get outside 2-3 times a week for about 15-20 minutes. When he gets older the time outside can be longer
If you can get more natural foods, hibiscus leaf and flower, mulberry leaf, dandelion. Store bought do escarole, arugula, water cress, cactus pads to name a few.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I have a four month old baby Sulcata and I was wondering if it's okay for the tortoise to be outside for a few hours rather than having a UVB light. I am looking into the UVB lighting but if the Sulcata is outside for a few hours does the tortoise still need UVB lighting? The enclosure has a heating/basking bulb and I take out the tortoise every few days to get some natural sun.
Also I am trying to change the diet to include more things. I feed Mazuri pellets mixed with clover and grass or I feed organic spring mix. Is there anything else I can give my four month Sulcata? I’ve read that hay shouldn’t be given until they’re a few years old, so what can I replace for that?
In addition to what Wellington said, be aware that UV levels in winter are much lower than in summer, and there is really only enough UV to do the job for the few mid day hours. There is hardly any UV at 10 am or 3 pm right now. Even at noon, there really isn't that much UV in December and January. By April or May, UV levels will be MUCH higher and last for a longer portion of the day.

Too much outside time is bad for babies, but and hour or two a few times a week is good. Soak the baby after sunning. Be sure the baby always has shade available. Offer access to sun, don't just put that baby in the sun. Sorry if that is already obvious to you, but better to spell it out than assume you know details like that.

If your tortoise is getting its UV outside, be sure their is enough light inside. A basking bulb alone is not enough. You'll need some LED light too to make it look bright and "sunny" indoors.

Learn your local weeds. Its the best thing to feed your tortoise. There are dozens of good ones. Where in CA are you? Different advice for San Francisco vs. Palm Springs. In another couple of months the mulberry and grape leaves will be back. Lavatera, hibiscus, spineless opuntia pads.

More here: