sulcata/ deep sleep

rdapp13

Hi, I am new to the tortoise world and my baby sulcata "Raymond" looks like he is hibernating and I know they don't so I'm worried about him and should I try to wake him up? Help me

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
rdapp13 said:
Hi, I am new to the tortoise world and my baby sulcata "Raymond" looks like he is hibernating and I know they don't so I'm worried about him and should I try to wake him up? Help me

What is the temps in his enclosure?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Welcome to the Forum. Baby sulcata do sleep a lot, but they do not hibernate. If you could take a minute and tell us about how you are keeping Raymond we might be able to help you out. What is the night time temperature, for example? What type and how big is the enclosure? Maybe post a couple of pictures so that we can possible spot a few problem areas that can easily be fixed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can we see a close-up picture of Raymond, then a picture of his habitat?

Are you using one of those coil-shaped compact fluorescent bulbs?

What is the temperature inside the habitat?

rdapp13

The temp is 80, the humidity is about 60/70. I feel like he hasn't moved in a day. I let him swim in the bathtub then our him back in cage, it's that to much moving him around?

Attachments

• 1392680722798.jpg
    1392680722798.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 126

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
I would bump up temp. I think 80
Should be minimal but more like 85-95 with a high basking area

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
rdapp:

I think your light is up too high and the baby isn't warm enough. Try to get your tort table up to about 80F all over the floor of the habitat.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

Yvonne provided good suggestion for you. Looks like you do have a top for the enclosure. Keep the temperature up a little more to see if the little one be more active? Our baby (not any more) also sleep a lot during the first 4 month and almost no growth. Then BOOM..........It grow so fast you are worry is we feed to much or what.....Please keep us posted.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
have you poked/bothered the tort to make sure he is still with ya? if yes, I would offer a basking spot of 100-105 f and then attempt to keep the entire enclosure no less than 78 (since you are not appearing to run way high humidity)..I also would allow a dryer spot if you have cooler than 78 at the furthest spot in the enclosure....

ccalderon

Have you tried soaking him in warm water? I notice my baby does that sometimes as well, like hes really sleepy then after a good soak hes much more active.