Sulcata Eye Emergency

cait_lr

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois, USA
Hubert hadn't opened his eyes all week, and they finally opened a few minutes ago and he has a huge piece of dirt stuck in his eye. I've tried flushing it out with water and I got most of it out, but his eyes still seem really irritated and i"m not sure what to do. Please help!

Attachments

• 15554983_354053631629417_1157788919_n.jpg
    15554983_354053631629417_1157788919_n.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I actually brush my finger very gently against the eye to get it out. There are also eye drops you can buy online or at a pet store specifically for tortoises and turtles. Hopefully someone will give you more info. I'm also concerned about your tortoises neck, it looks swollen! @Yvonne might be able to help?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, warm water soaks and try to get the water to flow over his head/eyes. I too think the neck looks swollen. What kind of bulb are you using? No coil ones right?
Has he been eating, drinking and roaming at all during this week?

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
I agree, warm water soaks and try to get the water to flow over his head/eyes. I too think the neck looks swollen. What kind of bulb are you using? No coil ones right?
Has he been eating, drinking and roaming at all during this week?

Hi, he had a bulb that looked like this, but I've kept it turned off since his eye problems started. Unfortunately he hasn't been eating or moving very much at all this week, I feel absolutely awful about it. :( I've been soaking him daily in baby carrots, water, and pedialyte. Is there anything I can do to treat his swollen neck?

Attachments

• 2214141-center-1.jpg
    2214141-center-1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's good that UVB is off. You probably need to bump the temperature up in the enclosure a little too.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You need to use an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) or a strip UVB.
What are the four temps, Basking spot, warm side, cool side and night time low ?
What is your substrate ?
And do you offer a balanced diet with calcium?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks! His temp is at 90-95.
What is the humidity? With the high temps, the 80% humidity is also need otherwise your doing it the old bad way, hot and dry. The higher temps go hand in hand with the humidity.
Do you have another UVB light? If not you do need to get one. I would keep the over all temp at 85 while he's not feeling good and the basking 100. Make sure you are measuring temps and humidity at tort level. Keep up the soakings you are doing and pop in a pic of your enclosure so we can see if any thing else needs to be fixed or added.

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
What is the humidity? With the high temps, the 80% humidity is also need otherwise your doing it the old bad way, hot and dry. The higher temps go hand in hand with the humidity.
Do you have another UVB light? If not you do need to get one. I would keep the over all temp at 85 while he's not feeling good and the basking 100. Make sure you are measuring temps and humidity at tort level. Keep up the soakings you are doing and pop in a pic of your enclosure so we can see if any thing else needs to be fixed or added.

He has very high humidity, I mix in a few cups of water daily into his substrate and his glass is always super foggy. Thank you for the input, I'll try and take another photo when I get home.

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
You need to use an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) or a strip UVB.
What are the four temps, Basking spot, warm side, cool side and night time low ?
What is your substrate ?
And do you offer a balanced diet with calcium?

His basking is 105, warm side is 90-95, cool side is 85-90 and night time is about 85.
The substrate is moist coconut fiber.
I used to feed him spring mix with calcium supplements, he also has a calcium bone but he doesn't really eat it. :/

Thanks! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What substrate are you using?

Both eyes are staying closed, or just the one with debris in it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Now that you've stopped using that bulb, the eyes should start to feel better. You can buy either of these products online (you don't need both):
eye ointment a.jpg eye ointment b.jpg

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
Hi everyone, I got home about an hour ago and found Hubert had passed away. I'm probably going to take a day or two off from school, I feel completely devastated. :( But thank you all so much for helping me while he was here. It's really been appreciated and I wish you all the best. xx

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Sorry for the loss and don't give up on torts. As was said in some other threads it was probably the way he was started before you got him.

Diamond

phoenix,az
So sorry to hear this. Sounds like you were taking good care of him. Many of us have gone through the same thing. So sorry for your loss.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am so sorry to hear this. Try to not to punish yourself over this; you did your best.

You will probably feel better if you get on with life and go to school too. Keeping busy is better for healing pain than mourning at home doing very little.