Status
Not open for further replies.

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
california
Ok so i bought my tort this new food called -Tortoise Food
By Rep Cal- and on the label it sais it provides all needed vitamins,,, and calcium for a torts growth... so i was wondering if i still need to use calcium suppliment.... here is the site please read it then reply

http://www.petmountain.com/product/turtle/504967/rep-cal-tortoise-food-.html

also on the jar it sais it has 19% crude fiber... and i thought that makes them pyrimad so i dont know if i should keep feeding it to her.?.?
THANK YOU

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
i have a bottle of that grassland but ive always been hesitent to use it. ''so ive always just used mazuri.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Krissy, I too can not recommend this food . A good diet of greens are best, if you are going to supplement I would use Mazuri or the one Danny recommended (Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise food). Please Read further.

This information is for everyone who purchases or is thinking of purchasing Rep-Cal Tortoise Food.

It is advertised as a complete diet for your tortoise, feed small slices of fresh fruit, such as strawberry or mango; dark leafy greens, fresh dandelion leaf and blossoms, as treats only, limit treats to no more than 10% of the total diet. Is what the site states. It is suggested to use for Iguanas, Bearded Dragons, Tortoises, Box Turtles, Aquatic Turtles These have different needs. Click here for more info. http://www.repcal.com/Benefit.htm

Its ingredients are: ground corn, soy hulls, soybean meal, Corn gluten meal, Dried Apple pomace, wheat germ, Calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, salt, ascorbic acid, choline chlorine, dried mango, dried papaya, dried strawberry, vegetable oil, methonine supplement, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Mangonous Oxide, Niacin, Copper Sulfate , D-Calcium pantohenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, sodium selenite, Thiamine mononitrate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D3), Menadione Dimethlpyimidionol Bisulfate (source of Vitamin K Activity), Cobalt carbonate, Inositol, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Folic Acid, Artificial Color, Natural Flavor

Now personally I would not feed this one to my Tortoises. I don't see any Grasses or greens and I could not find the ingredients listed on the site.

The one Danny recommended has ingredients such as: chopped grasses (Oat, Timothy, and Alfalfa) to provide long-stem fiber, an important part of the natural diet of Grassland Tortoises, Dandelion Greens, Yucca, etc..

I have used Mazuri as a supplement to their greens during the winter time especially if greens, other than lettuce, is hard to get. It was formulated for Sulcatas and DT and also contains Chopped grasses, dandelion and yucca etc.
https://www.mazuri.com/Home.asp?Products=2&Opening=2

Fiber does not make them pyramid it is high protiens.

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
ya i used to use the grass land kind but she really hates it, i would break it up over her food and she would just sniff it and leave.... sorry, i meant to say crude protien. so do you think if it sais 19% crude protiens it is bad???

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I use the zoo med myself 2 times a week. I have to mix it with their greens too. My leopard seem to enjoy it. My russians hate it though they pick around it like no other. I heard mazuri uses soy and wheat and the zoo med does not i think i have to double check so dont quote me hah !

Status
Not open for further replies.