Sulcata Hatchling Help

Kellymay528

I'm new to this so I'm not sure if I'm starting a conversation in the right place...
I just got a sulcata hatchling for Christmas. I've done tons of research and talked to different people. The little guy was shipped but seems healthy. I have a couple of questions. When I recieved him the bottom of his shell was a little soft almost like the top of a tubaware bin when you poke it. Is this because he's a hatchling? I have the correct lights, enclosure, etc. Another question.. I started trying to feed orchard grass, wheat grass, minimal collards because the tortoise was a surprise so collards were all I had for two days. Now he's stuck on these collards that's all he wants and I know they can't have a lot of it. Any suggestions on what to do? Please don't attack me! I just want to learn and get some opinions.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Cut the collards and other stuff very small. Slowly use less and less collrd in the mix. I have found this is the easiest way to get them to eat new foods. Supplement calcium 2X a week. Just sprinkle a small amout on his food. If he is not able to get outside right now you could use calcium with d3 once a week as well.
Welcome to the forum.

Kellymay528

Cut the collards and other stuff very small. Slowly use less and less collrd in the mix. I have found this is the easiest way to get them to eat new foods. Supplement calcium 2X a week. Just sprinkle a small amout on his food. If he is not able to get outside right now you could use calcium with d3 once a week as well.
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you.. I live in Maryland so it's impossible ):
I have been using some d3. Thanks for the input.

Kellymay528

Kellymay528

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You need to read the care sheets and really listen to @Tom

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi Kelly, welcome! You might want to put a nice layer of that coco coir/husk all on the bottom, not just in the corners. Make sure your enclosure is at the proper temps both day and night.

Also, put enough substrate to have your water bowl at surface level, or even sub surface. It's hard for young torts to climb up over that hard edge. Most folks recommend garden type terra cotta plant saucers vice tortoise water bowls like u have.

Get some mazuri tort chow pellets, he will gobble those up and get good nutrition.

Get the humidity levels up, and put your thermometer at tort level.

Keep him warm! And check your lights! Welcome!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
This is my set up and with all the members advice my little guy is growing like a weed!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419893676.610187.jpg

Kellymay528

Hi Kelly, welcome! You might want to put a nice layer of that coco coir/husk all on the bottom, not just in the corners. Make sure your enclosure is at the proper temps both day and night.

Also, put enough substrate to have your water bowl at surface level, or even sub surface. It's hard for young torts to climb up over that hard edge. Most folks recommend garden type terra cotta plant saucers vice tortoise water bowls like u have.

Get some mazuri tort chow pellets, he will gobble those up and get good nutrition.

Get the humidity levels up, and put your thermometer at tort level.

Keep him warm! And check your lights! Welcome!

Okay I will thanks. The only reason I didn't want to put the bedding on the entire floor is because I was afraid he would ingest it. I soak him twice a day and keep the bedding damp at all times.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Great! This is the right place for all the help you need!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Okay I will thanks. The only reason I didn't want to put the bedding on the entire floor is because I was afraid he would ingest it. I soak him twice a day and keep the bedding damp at all times.

• From what Ive read, the worst thing is sand regarding torts ingesting it and getting impacted. The other things to stay away from are rabbit pellets and ground walnut shells. Coco coir/husks, sphagnum peat moss, plain garden soil are all good too, just no added fertilizers or additives, etc. I'd suggest a nice 2-3 inch layer of coco coir/husk. Good luck.

Ps, where in MD?