Sulcata Hatchling RI

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Did you even read my entire post? I talk all about how I do the Mazuri calcium, soaks, bulb, how I get it dark, and I have a ceramic heater on order and will be here Wednesday. I have read both articles you posted.

No sand? Most fact sheets I have read say half sand half dirt.

Yes. I did read your entire post and that's why I offered the above info. Let me take more time and make it more clear:

No sand. Fine grade orchid bark works best. Find it at any garden center.
No red bulbs. They need it dark at night but still warm. CHE with a thermostat works best. Covering part of the top with a towel does not make it dark.
Daily soaks. You said you already are, so I just confirmed what I think is a good practice.
Calcium twice a week. You said you were doing this every day. That is not good.
Soak the Mazuri and mush it up with other greens. You said "crushed" Mazuri. Soaked is better and you only need it twice a week.
No romaine. Use endive, escarole, spring mix or other things instead.

The hot temps you are providing should help kick the RI. Just make sure humidity and hydration are kept up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I just came home to white fuzzy stuff all around his basking rock.... I would guess mold.... I didn't think to take a picture of it. I am on a hunt for the different substrate... sucks living in the sticks. I cleaned it all off. Is it going to hurt him?

Mold needs a food source. Probably something in the dirt you used.

Cypress mulch should work fine and it should not mold. When I have used cypress mulch in the past I had to put it in a big tub and rinse and drain it several time to clean it up and get the swampy smell out of it. You'll have to check your batch when you get it.

Cassidy Dixon

Ok thank you. I am getting ready to change it all around now. I will post pictures when I am done. I have cut calcium back to every 3 days and I only do Mazuri every two or three days. He has been getting grass and weed mix 90% now. I only use romaine and cucumber as snack to keep him in the sun during sun bathing time. Every morning he eats a bowl of weeds/ grass mix/ dandelions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Glad he's doing better. Appetite is a good sign.

Cassidy Dixon

He isn't walking around in there yet but I like the looks of it. I defiantly think having his house surrounded like that will make a perfect hiding spot. It has Spanish moss on the floor of the house that is damp. I also moved him to my work bench so I can sit and watch him without having to stand there. Being up off the floor should help me regulate temps. mulch.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Check out page 6 of my IT thread. I go into decent detail on what I used for the ITs for the first 6 months. I still do the same thing but on larger scale. It works better than most set-ups I've used in the past! You'll see there's NO bulb...only because I live in the high desert and gave them access to pure unadulterated sunlight for 2-4 hours a day. That's changed too...but their only light source in their chamber is a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0...it provides a degree of UVB...but I only put it in there so they can see where they're going. This particular set-up mimics a burrow almost to a T. The coco coir/ coconut bark mixture is practically foolproof! Tom mentions orchid bark...and that's fine as well. I just prefer the coir/bark mixture. Good luck!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...aladars-babies-ultra-photo-heavy.92212/page-6

Cassidy Dixon

Awesome. I read some. I will read the entire thread when I get a chance. Here are some pictures of how it is right now. The hanging light has the ceramic heater in it. I turn the light off at night so it is dark. He burrowed down in his house clear to the bottom. does this mean its to hot? I point my thermometer in on him and he is 84 down in his hole and it is 86 in the house, and 90 on the top. With the light off I can maintain 84 on the roof of his house. bench.jpg bench1.jpg bench2.jpg bench3.jpg bench4.jpg

Cassidy Dixon

What are thoughts on this bulb? (Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Desert UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp) I still plan to bask him in the unfiltered sun light atleast 1/2 hour a day. Only problem is its been rainy here for 2 days so he has got zero uvb. If this lamp would be ok I would plan to use screen window screen to block the brunt of the light. Or is this theory no good? Any cheap places for MVB?? $35 is so high

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Whether I agree with the set-up or not, I like those numbers! Given the RI though...I think the temps need to be a little higher

Cassidy Dixon

Check out what my father in law made Tucker! I am marking on it with marks and dates in ink pen! This is the first picture!measure.jpg

Cassidy Dixon

Whether I agree with the set-up or not, I like those numbers! Given the RI though...I think the temps need to be a little higher
The biggest problem is my limitations here in Kansas.... 100 miles from any pet store. The mulch was my only choice unless I order stuff offline. His basking spot is 100. Still raise temps? aim for what?

Cassidy Dixon

Will a SYLVANIA 100 watt mercury vapor bulb work? I see them on ebay for 12.95. They have frosted or clear. Which is best? this what I need?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

Cassidy Dixon

So the local walmart most likely has that Sylvania 100 watt mercury vapor bulb.... does it have none of the same values? I could have one of those in the morning on my way home from work. No good at all? would sure beat waiting a week for one

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
A good place to order reptile supplies besides Amazon.com is Petmountain.com. They have good prices and a good selection of supplies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are thoughts on this bulb? (Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 Desert UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp) I still plan to bask him in the unfiltered sun light atleast 1/2 hour a day. Only problem is its been rainy here for 2 days so he has got zero uvb. If this lamp would be ok I would plan to use screen window screen to block the brunt of the light. Or is this theory no good? Any cheap places for MVB?? $35 is so high

Compact fluorescents sometimes burn their eyes and should not be used. They can go weeks indoors with no UV and its fine. Mine do this every winter. Just get them out with access to the sun as often as you can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will a SYLVANIA 100 watt mercury vapor bulb work? I see them on ebay for 12.95. They have frosted or clear. Which is best? this what I need?

No. This will not work. Normal bulbs do not produce UV in the range that our reptiles need it. You need to buy one of the ones made for reptiles.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So the local walmart most likely has that Sylvania 100 watt mercury vapor bulb.... does it have none of the same values? I could have one of those in the morning on my way home from work. No good at all? would sure beat waiting a week for one

Correct. No good at all for your tortoise. It will light up the room nicely though.

Cassidy Dixon

Compact fluorescents sometimes burn their eyes and should not be used. They can go weeks indoors with no UV and its fine. Mine do this every winter. Just get them out with access to the sun as often as you can.
Ok I was stressing over the lack of Sun. Walmart didn't have the bulb any way. It should be sunny again in a few days.