sulcata help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch4r13s

5 Year Member
Hi,

First, I'm from Manila, and I just got my first sulcata baby about a week ago, for the first 3 days, it is eating and fine, but after that, it is eating less and for about 3 days now, it is not eating. For my setup, I have 20gal aquarium for the indoor, and for the outdoor, I have an enclosure in our lawn. What I do is to get her sunlight for about 20-40 mins in the morning, and giving enough cover as only half is hit by sunlight at that time in the morning..

For my substrate for the indoor, for the first 4 days, I've been using wood shavings which is typical for hamster that is available in the pet store here and 3 days ago I changed to coco peat/dust/coir. As I read, it is better. Which is better? The one who sold it to me, said it is using hay as substrate for 2 months... and nothing is wrong, but I can't get hay on my place.. For the basking light I currently have just a 10w incandescent light as it is getting daily sunlight but I already bought a reptisun 10.0 but don't have a good lamp yet for it...

On the 2nd day also, I noticed that it has little bubble on his nose, and upon researching, it is somewhat start of some kind of pneumonia.. of some kind.. but after the daily sunlight, I do not see this anymore..

I'm still looking for a reptile vet on my place.. and just want some advise, and probably wrong on my setup..

Thanks
Charles

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Pine shavings? those can be toxic...
Hay.. not recommended.. what you are using is ok.
bubble out the nose is usually a respiritory issue. He need warm temps.
Do you soak him?
What is the diet?

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Most probably too cold, make sure you aquarium has good heat and a basking spot. Also, hamster bedding is not suitable for torts for a who host of reasons. Coco coir or soil (depending on the species) is usually best for trapping both heat and humidity.

HonuFonu23

5 Year Member
Glendale, AZ
Well.. you gotta get rid of the hamster bedding for your tortoise (she might try to eat the bedding and will cause issues). I use Zoo Med Eco Earth and Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding for my sulcatas substrate. I learned the hard way not to use alfalfa pellets. And my tort loves the mixture. He digs and "redecorates".

Make sure the temps in the aquarium are properly set.

A proper diet and warm soakings are a must.

ch4r13s

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. I already replaced the shavings, I'm using coco coir/dust/peat for 4 days now, my baby sully ate today, and I think what I lack is soaking, and I just started to soak her yesterday and now doing it twice a day and seems she improved.

For those using coco peat/coir/dust, what maintenance you do? spray water it to it daily? be a abit wet? as i see it is a bit dry already... and replace it weekly??

Thanks
Charles

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Charles:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

wildponey21

5 Year Member
you need to have a uvb uva light on for 10 to 12 hours a day. You need to feed greens and the temps need to 80+.

M

Maggie Cummings

Keep your substrate moist, so that if you squeezed it in your hand it would hold together. Soaking her once a day is enough. Keep your UVB light on for 12 hours day, pretend it's the sun so turn it on and off every 12 hours. Feed it baby greens grasses and weeds. It sounds like it has an upper respiratory infection, so you would probably need a round of Baytril, and you need to get that from a Vet.

ch4r13s

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies, The soakings and when I changed to a uvb 10, really helped, he is very well now..

Status
Not open for further replies.