Sulcata is screaming please help

Sosamuk

It's not like this lol

Having studied him more, he screams when he retracts his head, although he doesn't make the screaming noise everytime he retracts it.

I have given him some mineral oil on some colliflower leaves and he ate it. I have gotten some grass and I'm going to wean him into it as he wont usually touch it, he's still screaming just not as often now.

newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
Interesting link. Sound like a snorting sound

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Other sites suggest it, which is why I'm asking here before hand
Just what I would do. I am not an expert. The mineral oil has worked for me. You don't want to over do it n cause more problems. How long has it been since he had a bowel movement? Could be something else entirely going on and not just a constipation problem. I would not recommend over treatment for a problem that is assumed at this point. Your recent description makes me think it may be an respiratory infection or even a normal sound when expelling the air from his lungs to retreat into the shell.

Sosamuk

I haven't seen a poo in a few weeks, there is none in his viv, so Im thinking constipation could be right.

Sosamuk

He's just got in the bath and expelled some brown liquid, see photo, what do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 68

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Looks like urine? How is he otherwise? Is he eating? Active? How do his eyes and nose look?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I wouldn't do anything drastic then by any means. Keep us updated. I have spent my share of time trying to get a tortoise to poop. Good luck.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Don't do this until someone answers .......
@Tom @Yvonne G @ascott I tagged you guys but know many others might know. Can he add aloe juice to the soak to help his tort poop? I buy it at Wal-Mart.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I haven't seen a poo in a few weeks, there is none in his viv, so Im thinking constipation could be right.

Perhaps he is simply recycling the poo...torts are opportunist and will often leave nothing behind...I also would not give a human type aid to the tort that is not a natural in ingredients.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Can I give lactulose to hershel?

http://www.manorpharmacy.co.uk/medi...medies-c244/lactulose-solution-bp-500ml-p8548

I would not give that product to a tortoise...it is a synthetic sugar based product...it would not be something I would offer...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I usually soak my Mazuri Tortoise Diet in Aloe juice, but never thought of adding it to the soaking water. I really doubt it would do much to lubricate the 'pipes.' What you need is mineral oil. Mineral oil is non absorptive, so it doesn't mix with the food, it merely coats the lining of the stomach and all the 'pipes' including the obstruction. But don't give mineral oil by mouth by itself. If you put it into his mouth, he can't feel it and he might breathe it in. Coat a leaf of lettuce with it then roll up the leaf and hand feed it to the tortoise.