Sulcata Mating

Shadowhunter

Location (City and/or State)
Miami
I was Wondering how many times would a male Sulcata Tortoise have to mate with a female to lay fertile eggs, because I’ve read that in the wild they rarely come across a female so I am just curious to how many mating sessions are needed for a fertile clutch??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"in the wild" has no comparison at all to "in your backyard." A male paired with a female in a captive situation is not a good idea. The male will pester the female constantly, making wear spots on her carapace, and breeding her until she finally has to stay hidden and out of his site. She may even stop eating. All it takes is to breed her one time, and if she's mature, she'll be carrying fertile eggs.

Shadowhunter

Miami
"in the wild" has no comparison at all to "in your backyard." A male paired with a female in a captive situation is not a good idea. The male will pester the female constantly, making wear spots on her carapace, and breeding her until she finally has to stay hidden and out of his site. She may even stop eating. All it takes is to breed her one time, and if she's mature, she'll be carrying fertile eggs.

I know I have 3 females and a big yard for them I was just curious as to how much they’ll have to mate