Sulcata only likes dried out greens?

Gab5150

Location (City and/or State)
Central Ohio
I hope this isn't a silly question, but I have a Sulcata hatchling and he seems to like his food (grasses, weeds etc.) the best after it has sat out all day and has gotten dry and crunchy. If, for example, there are a few dry day old leaves that I missed from the day before and a heaping pile of fresh greens, he will eat the crunchies and wait for the fresh food to dry out for bit before eating it. Is that weird? I am wondering if the food still have the same nutritional value once it has dried out?
Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is kinda unusual. I've seen hungry ones eat dried up left overs many times, but not when there are fresh alternatives sitting there.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The drier the leaves and such, the higher in carbs it is. in the wild tortoises who hibernate will eat the drier stuff to bulk up on carbs, for the winter. My leopards only eat the grape leaves once they are a little crunchy.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My torts will eat dried food, no questions asked! I'm using dried out weeds to supplement my russian's diet this winter :D
I would agree to dmmj, but sulcata don;t hibernate, and he should feel no need to pack on the pounds! That's strange, and I just got to say it may or may not affect his grazing life in the future! :confused: Maybe try mixing everything up?