SULCATA...PREDATOR or SCAVENGER (WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTOS...NOT FOR THE WEAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Dizisdalife said:
About a month ago I found the remains of a bird in my sulcata's pen and assumed it to be the work of the local Coopers Hawk. Maybe not? May explain where the small feather in his night box came from.

The red-tails that live behind my house will disassemble their kills on the fence posts skirting my yard from time to time. When they do this, the parts the hawks miss or do not want fall into the yard and the tortoises gather beneath during the process, leaving nothing behind when finished.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tubularseco said:
FANTASTIC PHOTOS!!!

I agree! Glad you caught it on camera. I for one am way to slow to think that fast and grab a camera.

Baoh said:
Dizisdalife said:
About a month ago I found the remains of a bird in my sulcata's pen and assumed it to be the work of the local Coopers Hawk. Maybe not? May explain where the small feather in his night box came from.

The red-tails that live behind my house will disassemble their kills on the fence posts skirting my yard from time to time. When they do this, the parts the hawks miss or do not want fall into the yard and the tortoises gather beneath during the process, leaving nothing behind when finished.

That's interesting!

expo tort

5 Year Member
If it fell out of the nest and died when it hit the ground it's still technically scavenging. And yes this is probably unnecessary to say but to prove to you how picky I am I go through the newspaper and look for mistakes the editor has made for fun.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Great pics I seen my baby chase some sparrows one day when they were messing with her spring mix. Maybe she was trying to add to her meal! Lol

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Came out one day and found about 6" of a gartersnake hanging out of my (former) Iberian's mouth...don't know if he caught it or a hawk dropped it, but he certainly polished it off!

As vegetarian's go, tortoises are open-minded... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.