SULCATA SHELL ISSUE

DevinB123

Location (City and/or State)
Elyria ohio
I have been trying to cure these spots for some time now... I have used the prescribed silver cream from the vet and haven't saw much success. Any suggestions ??

Attachments

• 20230826_104041.jpg
    20230826_104041.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They just look like dry spots to me and some new growth. Nothing a cream will heal, but husbandry may need tweaking.
I wouldn't trust the vet again though.
What is the humidity?
How large is he and how old?
What size enclosure does he live in?
What are the temps, all over, basking, night?
What type of bulbs are you using?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome Devin! If you try to answer the questions, that will help us to help you and your tortoise much better! Thank you! And I agree about skipping that vet!!!

DevinB123

Elyria ohio
They just look like dry spots to me and some new growth. Nothing a cream will heal, but husbandry may need tweaking.
I wouldn't trust the vet again though.
What is the humidity?
How large is he and how old?
What size enclosure does he live in?
What are the temps, all over, basking, night?
What type of bulbs are you using?
I currently live in ohio and he has spent all summer in this enclosure (comes in at night to a 32"x5' sleep box don't have cover for preditors) there has been no heat light in the hut . I just installed one but these spots were here well before. He was born 2020 according to old owner and weighs approx 6-7 pounds. My room is always around 70 so he has no uvb or heat inside at night. I have a 4x8 enclosure currently housing redfoots I'm going to swap him into for larger winter space . So he rarely has sat under heat light (he did when I first got him I was nieve to his care and may have been too hot. I had his diet off as well ) he is soaked AT LEAST 3x a week and on warmer days I'll spray him down cause he loves it . He's mainly grass fed and given Romaine cucumber (smaller amount) and sometimes cactus or aloe. He's eating habiscus and rose of Sharon's daily . It's got me beat and I feel like I've done him bad /: he was attacked by a dog last summer but none of these are his wounds.

His night box stays on the drier side if I were to Guage it . It's a coir topsoil cypress mix . Thank you for your reply !

Attachments

• IMG_20230918_134432_01.jpg
    IMG_20230918_134432_01.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to still improve his care greatly. His outdoor enclosure looks good but your inside care not so good. 70 is too cold for a sulcata.
please read caresheets and improve things. Stop using the cream the vet gave you and up the humidity and temps. Do not use a mercury vapor bulb.
You can put some coconut oil on the dry areas if you want. They mainly just look like dry spots and new grouth too me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
His shell has a nice luster to it, but those spots you're worried about look like he's been sitting under a light that is too close to the shell and has burned the new growth. Rather than the silver cream, lubricate the areas with cold pressed coconut oil. Rub it in then polish it off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been trying to cure these spots for some time now... I have used the prescribed silver cream from the vet and haven't saw much success. Any suggestions ??
Are you ready for a wild ride? The care info you have found previously was/is all the old wrong info. Start here and look for the sulcata care sheet at the bottom:

Spot bulbs should never be used over tortoises, and this is why. Use flood bulbs or regular round bulbs in a hood. Check the temperature under your basking bulb by laying a digital thermometer on its back at tortoise shell height directly under the bulb and letting it bake there for an hour or more. It should reach a maximum of 95-100, at tortoise shell height, not the ground.