Sulcata size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron23

5 Year Member
My sulcata will be a year old this month and he weighs 92g. Just making sure that is normal weight for these guys? He looks good and he eats good. I soak him everyday and keep his humidity around 80. What do you guys think?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I would say on the smaller side of the spectrum. What's his diet and do you have any idea of his past history, how he was started? any pictures of him and the enclosure? Weren't you only feeding 2-3 times a week?

Aaron23

5 Year Member
I've only had him for a month. I bought him from tortoisetown.com so im not sure exactly how he was raised. I ordered a yearling but who know it could be younger. I was expecting him to be bigger than he was.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I've only had him for a month. I bought him from tortoisetown.com so im not sure exactly how he was raised. I ordered a yearling but who know it could be younger. I was expecting him to be bigger than he was.
It's very possible then that he's younger. If he's eating and things are good I wouldn't worry but do feed him daily

BILBO-03

It could be how they started him. Is he very bumpy ?

Aaron23

5 Year Member
Very very little pyramiding. I'm just thinking he is a little younger than a year. I took him into the vet just to have him looked at and he said he thinks its more like 6 months. But who knows.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can't tell their age by looking. There is a lot of variability in size and appearance.

92 grams would be very small for a year old sulcata, but there could be many reasons for this.

Bee62

Germany
I agree with Tom, that 92 grams is not much for a yearling. My sulcata babies are 6 months old and the heaviest tort of these three ones weight 165 grams.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
You say he is 92g now, so I assume you have access to a digital scale. How long have you been weighing your tortoise? What has the rate of growth been in the time you have had it?

Maybe the tortoise was started poorly and has extremely slow growth, maybe it simply isn't as old as they claimed, or maybe it is just a very slow growing toetoise, but we will likely never know.

What we can focus on is verifying that the tortoise is experiencing steady consistent growth.

You were asked a very important question right off the bat. Unless I'm missing something that question has not yet been answered. What has the diet consisted of, how much, and how often? Telling us he "eats good" tells us absolutely nothing.

Bee62

Germany
The tort looks like a very young one. Not older than 4 months. He has no signs of pyramiding and looks very healthy. A cute little baby to me.
If he is eating well he will be growing and gaining in weight. He should be eating every day. But what do you feed ?

Aaron23

5 Year Member
He's been gaining like 6g per week for the last 3 weeks. I just bought the scale 3 weeks ago. He eats Mazuri, kale, shredded carrots, cactus pads and grasses.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's been gaining like 6g per week for the last 3 weeks. I just bought the scale 3 weeks ago. He eats Mazuri, kale, shredded carrots, cactus pads and grasses.

I would cut out the carrots, decrease the frequency of kale, and add endive and escarole until the weeds come back.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
For the size he is now? I would say yes. I think you have nothing to worry about. It sounds like he is experiencing that nice consistent growth I was talking about in the growth department.

Following Tom's advice above though is very suggested.

Bee62

Germany
Aaron23 said

6 gr. per week is fine ! That`s the weight that my torts gain too every week. My little ones love chickoree and lamb`s lettuce. I read that they could eat this.
My grass and weeds are burried under 20 cm snow and cold. So I have to buy grocery salads.

Status
Not open for further replies.