Sulcata Strange behavior.

sleziegler

5 Year Member
My sulcata is about 23 yrs old, male and I've had him for 7 yrs. He's now enamored with some wood utility poles stored on my property. Crawls up on one, will make a strange sound, neck stretched out, and (I have to say this), almost like he's humping the pole. He will discharge slime from his mouth. I've had him to a vet about 4 yrs ago for a chest/nose infection. After a swab from his mouth, lab work conclusion, he had 5 bacteria's which we treated with antibiotic cocktail needle shots. He cleared up. This we feel was caused by a new pistachio farm scraping 80 acres of the desert floor & sending up tons of new stuff coming up from the ground blowing in the air. BTW my dog also got a chest congestion at that time & got treated. Also some people in my development got sick. This farm is about 1/2 mile from my property. To date there have been 10,000+ trees planted. To continue at this time, my sulcuta is not blowing nose bubbles, eating well of a diet of desert ground flowers on my 2 acres plus is fed Bermuda grass, kale, dandelion weed, collard greens or mustard greens mixed up. I'm just asking if this is normal. Is he horny or chest problem? I will look for a vet if this is unusual & needs something done. At this time my special vet for my tortoise has left the state & I have asked for referrals from our local community for another. Since we live in a remote desert I will probably have to travel to Los Angeles 180 miles south if I can't find a vet in Lancaster or Palmdale. Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Sounds like he is horny to me. I have heard of Sulcatas humping all sorts of things. Just watch for bubbles out of the nose, that kind of thing.

Bambam1989

East Texas
You gotta male tort that has found something that looks slightly like another tort in his mind.
People often give their males a bucket or half deflated basketball to let them "preoccupy" themselves.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My sulcata is about 23 yrs old, male and I've had him for 7 yrs. He's now enamored with some wood utility poles stored on my property. Crawls up on one, will make a strange sound, neck stretched out, and (I have to say this), almost like he's humping the pole. He will discharge slime from his mouth. I've had him to a vet about 4 yrs ago for a chest/nose infection. After a swab from his mouth, lab work conclusion, he had 5 bacteria's which we treated with antibiotic cocktail needle shots. He cleared up. This we feel was caused by a new pistachio farm scraping 80 acres of the desert floor & sending up tons of new stuff coming up from the ground blowing in the air. BTW my dog also got a chest congestion at that time & got treated. Also some people in my development got sick. This farm is about 1/2 mile from my property. To date there have been 10,000+ trees planted. To continue at this time, my sulcuta is not blowing nose bubbles, eating well of a diet of desert ground flowers on my 2 acres plus is fed Bermuda grass, kale, dandelion weed, collard greens or mustard greens mixed up. I'm just asking if this is normal. Is he horny or chest problem? I will look for a vet if this is unusual & needs something done. At this time my special vet for my tortoise has left the state & I have asked for referrals from our local community for another. Since we live in a remote desert I will probably have to travel to Los Angeles 180 miles south if I can't find a vet in Lancaster or Palmdale. Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Google male sulcata mating....likely will display the like process....lol....horny toad...