just finish the 90 gallon
has cypress mulch
two water bowl
one food bowl
50watt heat lamp
4 florescent light bulbs
2 half the clay
1 cuttle bone

can i grow plants? and what kind of plants?

2012-09-11_21-38-15_328.jpg2012-09-11_21-43-57_750.jpg2012-09-11_21-44-40_167.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would use a flat rock or piece of tile for food. Helps keep beaks trimmed. Lid over half or so to keep in humdity. Are the lights UVB? Plants for more security feeling. I grew clover, grass and other weeds in coconut coir. You could try planting some plants I the mulch and see how they do.

rickyn0792

5 Year Member
slidell, la
there just regular t12 bulbs but i thought all florescent lights are uvb??? and imma put slates in tomorrow.. and i might do clovers and weeds and see how they will grow

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
rickyn0792 said:
there just regular t12 bulbs but i thought all florescent lights are uvb??? and imma put slates in tomorrow.. and i might do clovers and weeds and see how they will grow

I don't believe they are all UVB. If it doesn't say it then they aren't.

rickyn0792

5 Year Member
slidell, la
wellington said:
rickyn0792 said:

I don't believe they are all UVB. If it doesn't say it then they aren't.

yea imma go to work and buy one but do i need to change all or just one?

youngyoshi

5 Year Member
Not all florescent bulbs are uvb, id say switch 2. Reptisun 10.0 are the best readily available bulbs. they need to be switched out about every 6 months because the loose effectiveness over time

youngyoshi

5 Year Member
In the same sense but the lights used for saltwater tanks wouldnt give of the right amount as one designed for reptiles would

youngyoshi

5 Year Member
yup! id say since you have 4 do 2 every 6 or so months and just rotate the others into the other fixtures

Are you using strip bulbs?

rickyn0792

5 Year Member
slidell, la
Yea I am and one basking light

But if I take them outside everyday I don't really need the uvb though

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What I would do for the plants is to either buy established plants or grow your own from seeds, but in a pot outside the tank until the plants are up to a nice grazing size. The reasoning being sulcata tend to zoom in and eat all plants immediately. New growth will not have a chance to get established at all. If your smart and have room, start a new tray of seeds every couple of days and then you can keep replacing them as they are eaten down. For fun, you might even want to try buying one of the heads of greens that are still growing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because your little guys are so small, I would pat down the substrate with the palm of my hand, making it flatter and easier for them to walk on. It looks pretty nice, salt water background and all!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
rickyn0792 said:
So soil is OK in the tank

Yes, as long as it doesn't have anything added to it (like to hold in moisture, fertilizer or pesticides). For me, it's easier as I just use the substrate I have (coir/playsand) either within the enclosure or the old is used in pots for the plants (has all that nice fertilizer from my generous tortoises :D ).

rickyn0792

5 Year Member
slidell, la
Just bought some grass seed to grow but what trees or large plant I can put in there can I put romaine lettuce plant so it can grow and they can eat without soil just grow in the mulch? Can plants just grow in the mulch without soil?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
rickyn0792 said:
Just bought some grass seed to grow but what trees or large plant I can put in there can I put romaine lettuce plant so it can grow and they can eat without soil just grow in the mulch? Can plants just grow in the mulch without soil?

Some plants will, but generally plants don't grow well in mulch. I've had grass and clover grow directly on the mulch, but they grow ALOT better in soil.

I'd go with Jacqui's suggestion of growing plants in pots outside the enclosure and adding them (pot, soil and all) into the enclosure when the plants are mature. It really is the easiest way to provide a fresh, un-ending supply of fresh vegetation.

rickyn0792

5 Year Member
slidell, la
Yea imma throw grass seen into the inclosure and grow some outside cause I bough a pound of seed haha but growing wild bird seed is good to right and I add a 150 watt basking light took out the 50 and add a 5.0 uvb into the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.