sulcatas for adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Hey Maggie and Yvonne honestly how hard are Sulcata's to take care of? How cold of weather can they be out in (like at night) without any heat source? Do they come out in of their sheds or enclosures in the daytime when it's cold out? Is 60 degrees cold for them or not?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just noticed your question about how the pig blankets are plugged in. If you'll follow the cord up from the pad on the right, see how it is looped and gathered together, then after the loop it plugs into a controller. The controller will take two pads. You can dial up the temperature you want from 1 to 9 with 9 being the hottest. If you don't use a controller the pad gets too hot.

Aldabrashed-2.jpg

Once the nights are consistently below 60 degrees I start plugging in the heat pads and lights. But the smaller tortoises need heat sooner. Bob II would need a heat pad and lights or CHE when the temp gets down to 65 at night. And the smaller ones aren't as smart at getting back into the warmth of the shed when they start to get cold. Sixty during the day would be ok if they have sun to sit in.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Me thinks Candy would make a great sulcata owner....:D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I am so fighting it right now. I could definitely see a Sulcata pushing over my lawn furniture though and making himself right at home with anything in my yard. But Bob II is so cute. I know, see that's how people get tricked into owning a Sulcata, they are so cute when they are little and they make such messes when they get so big. :D It's a good thing that Yvonne doesn't live closer to me though I would be over there so fast and I know that little guy would come home with me. :p

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Candy said:
I am so fighting it right now.... :D It's a good thing that Yvonne doesn't live closer to me though I would be over there so fast and I know that little guy would come home with me. :p

You would make a great Sulcata owner Candy! Of course, you probably ought to discuss it with the Builder of Most Excellent Tortoise Enclosures, but if he agrees....lucky you, and lucky BobII!

Just my own opinion, of course.;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm sorry I should probably tell you my husbands name. It is Cal, but I mostly call him Calvin. He is very talented in a lot of things. I don't usually need a handyman because I have him. My son Nathan was out back when I went out to take the pug potty and he said "What are you doing out here" and I said trying to see where I'm going to put the Sulcata and you had never seen a more surprise and happy face. He surprised me actually with his reaction. I was of course only kidding, but he wanted to know when and I told him when he would like to go pick it up 5 hours from here (thinking that I was going to discourage him). Oh no he said that he would do that and that surprised me too. Well I came into talk with hubby about it and he said "He'll think it over". :D He's thinking it over because we're already going to the expo next week to pick up our new Cherryhead from Tyler Stewart so maybe he's thinking that that is enough. We'll see. ;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yvonne did you take any pictures of his face? I'm trying everything with my husband, maybe if he sees his little face he won't be able to say no. Actually I'm reading up on Sulcatas now just in case. You do still have him right Yvonne. Maybe I could put him on Lay-a-way. :D:p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Would that be $0 tomorrow, and $0 per week until he's paid off?

I'll take a better picture of him tomorrow.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks Yvonne. You're up pretty late were you having some more peppermint ice cream? :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a couple better pictures of Bob II. He/she is a pretty nice specimen, being pretty darned smooth, and with a nicely shaped beak. It's a little bit on the shy side, but it has lived for the past couple years with two larger tortoises and I'd imagine it was bullied. I put my Ladies size medium glove next to the tortoise so you can get an idea of its size:

rescueBobII-1.jpg

rescueBobII-2.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yvonne, I'm putting him on hold until my husband comes in from mowing the backyard. :D :p He/she is adorable. How old do they have to be to tell what sex they are?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a little bit bigger than he is now. Maybe next year or so.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I've been cleaning house all day today because my husbands son is coming in from Texas and we're having a party tomorrow so everyone can come and see him. So all day I've been coming back to the computer to look at Bob II he's so cute, but I've got to admit in that second picture I know he's still little, but my husband said "I'd name him BAM BAM"". I had to laugh. After my husband got done with the yard I kept trying to picture this little tortoise there, but I'm kind of afraid because he's not going to stay that little and it's kind of scary to think about it. I've heard to many stories about Bob I. I keep telling my husband that everyone says that they have great personalities and they can even act dog like. At least that's what I've read on here from sulcata owners. Sorry just ranting on. :( I just take a while to make sure to make the right decision. If I could just babysit him for a while then I would know. Yvonne I wish you lived closer actually I really do my boys would love to come over and help with your tortoises. :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The three sulcatas have now found new homes. Thank you all for your interest!

Status
Not open for further replies.