Sully house ok ??

de0908

Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions on Timmy's house. After reading a lot of posts on here, I decided to cover most of the cage in tin foil to try and make a partly closed chamber. As we are in Ireland, I'm hoping this will help with keeping the heat and humidity in. There is Sphagnumn moss in his hide end and this along with the rest of the substrate is misted regularly to keep it all nice and moist. Temperature under the basking light is 32 degrees C and there is also a UV tube light. I don't have a hygrometer yet so not sure what the humidity level is. Any suggestions or opinions would be great, thanks.

Attachments

• 20160728_194154_001.jpg
    20160728_194154_001.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
  • 20160728_194225.jpg
    20160728_194225.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 20160728_194232_001.jpg
    20160728_194232_001.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 58
  • 20160728_194243.jpg
    20160728_194243.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 55

Prairie Mom

Hello:) It looks like your making good efforts for your beloved little tortoise, and doing research which is awesome! :D Unfortunately, all the humidity can still escape the open areas, so the tinfoil really won't do much unless you completely close it in. I used tinfoil when I first got my tortoise and put her in giant rubber made containers. It's far from beautiful but they can be housed pretty cheaply and effectively this way. I was able to achieve good temperatures and humidity.

Here's a link to a post where I was talking about it with another member and posted a couple photos: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-and-shy.115234/#post-1069946

Eventually, I ended up building a nice large closed chamber based on this idea: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/ -If you decide to go this route Tom (the Original poster on this thread) and many other members are always happy to help out:)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I agree all the heat and humidity is going to escape through those gaps. I actually like the idea of using the bottom of a guinea pig cage because it is plastic. The wire part needs to be replaced with something solid. It isn't necessary that your tort see out, although I can see how you would like to be able to see in.

de0908

Thanks for the replies folks. Think I'm going to redo his house completely. Gonna try and get a plastic box as a base and another smaller one to turn upside and place on top. This will house the heat lamp. The gap will be left but covered with something which will allow access for cleaning, feeding etc. Basically when its set up, it should be equivalent to a closed chamber. anyone got any thoughts on this idea ?
Thanks

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Thanks for the replies folks. Think I'm going to redo his house completely. Gonna try and get a plastic box as a base and another smaller one to turn upside and place on top. This will house the heat lamp. The gap will be left but covered with something which will allow access for cleaning, feeding etc. Basically when its set up, it should be equivalent to a closed chamber. anyone got any thoughts on this idea ?
Thanks
Most of them come with some sort of lid or cover , maybe cut a section out for lights ? Then you might cover the hole light and all with foil ?

de0908

Most of them come with some sort of lid or cover , maybe cut a section out for lights ? Then you might cover the hole light and all with foil ?
Hey Speedy, I've had a complete rethink and just finished doing this. It is completely covered in plastic but done in such a way that I can still get access. Do you think this will work better ?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20160729_213806.jpg
    20160729_213806.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 20160729_213838.jpg
    20160729_213838.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 20160729_213915.jpg
    20160729_213915.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 20160729_213927.jpg
    20160729_213927.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I guess as long as it holds the heat and humidity its OK . AS long as you realize its too small for anything but a hatchling, and needs to be replaced with something larger A.S.A.P. ! :)

de0908

I guess as long as it holds the heat and humidity its OK . AS long as you realize its too small for anything but a hatchling, and needs to be replaced with something larger A.S.A.P. ! :)
Yip Speedy, he is only 7 months old and a little over 8cm long. I know we will need something bigger pretty soon but while he is in here, I just want to make sure he has the best start possible.

de0908

You have to remember air flow, would you enjoy living in something where the air didn't come in and out at all?
Hey Ryan, I was thinking about this. Am I better putting some holes in the plastic, low down and at either side ? The front flap isn't completely sealed though so I thought this might allow for air to circulate. I'm getting condensation on the inside of the plastic so I'm guessing this is a good sign that the humidity is building up inside ok ?
Thanks

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hey Ryan, I was thinking about this. Am I better putting some holes in the plastic, low down and at either side ? The front flap isn't completely sealed though so I thought this might allow for air to circulate. I'm getting condensation on the inside of the plastic so I'm guessing this is a good sign that the humidity is building up inside ok ?
Thanks
I think there is enough airflow coming around the edges of the flap. Getting condensation on the inside of the plastic is good.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Thanks
Listen to Big Charlie , he is right ! If you cant maintain a warm , humid "closed environment" you are sure to end up with a pyramiding Sully or worse. Air flow is not a consideration you need to be concerned with , especially considering in their natural environment they spend most of the first year of their lives underground ! ;)

de0908

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm going to leave it as it is and see how we get on. I'm getting a temp under his basking spot of 90 - 95. I have yet to get a hygrometer but there is definitely condensation on the plastic. I have wetted Sphagnum moss in his hide and some under his basking spot too so I'm guessing this is all contributing to keeping the humidity up. Does this all sound good ?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm going to leave it as it is and see how we get on. I'm getting a temp under his basking spot of 90 - 95. I have yet to get a hygrometer but there is definitely condensation on the plastic. I have wetted Sphagnum moss in his hide and some under his basking spot too so I'm guessing this is all contributing to keeping the humidity up. Does this all sound good ?
Except for the sphagnum moss , they have been known to try and eat it !

Ryansiegelreptiles

Thanks
I think you should do one small circle like 3-5 inches in diameter on the top just so air is moving around a little bit, find something that lets the air flow but still doesn't affect the humidity (dropping by 1-3% isnt a big deal but like 10% is) Find out what your humidity is now and make a hole, start with a smaller size and then move up until it is at like 3%

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I think you should do one small circle like 3-5 inches in diameter on the top just so air is moving around a little bit, find something that lets the air flow but still doesn't affect the humidity (dropping by 1-3% isnt a big deal but like 10% is) Find out what your humidity is now and make a hole, start with a smaller size and then move up until it is at like 3%

No you don't want to cut any holes in the top, you get plenty of air in this set up. It's not ideal but it will work. You will lose a lot of heat and humidity if you do this.