Sweaters?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She has a carpeted room
You really need to read the caresheet and get her set up properly. Carpet is not meant for tortoises and the fibers can cause impactions.
She needs proper tortoise substrate, heat, UV, water, hydration, temps, all that is meant for the species you have.
Changes are needed ASAP.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Wouldn't darker skin maximize the D3 synthesis as darker colors attract heat/sun more? Or, is what you are saying, the lighter skin would let it in easier?
Thanks for the post.
There is an old article on the topic (biochemistry and physiology, probably, have advanced since then): http://www.uvguide.co.uk/skintests.htm
It's not about tortoises, but gives general idea why pale skin can be beneficial for UV absorbtion.

Yet, markw84's idea is interesting. I wish we could see some recent research on this topic.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Many tortoises from very hot areas, as well as many forest tortoises, have light colored skin which would maximize D3 synthesis starting in a less amount of time exposed.
And the second reason for light skin could be to prevent overheating. There are some studies of Russian tortoises being darker in colder areas and lighter in hotter areas. Couldn't find them now, but the hypothesis is that it has to do with attracting heat.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Wouldn't darker skin maximize the D3 synthesis as darker colors attract heat/sun more? Or, is what you are saying, the lighter skin would let it in easier?
Thanks for the post.
Darker colors absorb IR better, while lighter colors reflect IR.

Lighter colored skin allows UV wavelengths to penetrate better. Darker skin blocks more UV.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@jenlewisbodine
Now that there is some clarification about the benefits or lack thereof of clothing for a tortoise, I'd like to say that you are not the first to do this. And if making tortoise clothing is something that you like to do, I recommend looking up older threads for tortoise clothing and tortoise hats. Etc.
There is a small but active sub section in the hobby that just enjoys that sort of thing.
Any activity that helps you to bond with your tortoise or turtle is probably more beneficial for you both than harmful

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Tbh I agree it’s more of a cute way to bond, I wouldn’t personally have them wear it for super prolonged periods, nor do I think it’ll serve a practical purpose like helping them stay warm or anything, but very cute nonetheless, I low key want to make one for ours to get some cute photos lol

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This turns upside down my understanding of redfoots and yellowfoots coloration :)
To underscore all of this:

It takes very little direct UV exposure time to get the needed UV to start the synthesis. Most tortoises seem to bask mornings before UV levels are very high. Some "bask" in partial shade.

As far as redfoot and yellowfoot;
They are known to bask little. They also eat more animal protein and can get D3 from that and mushrooms. Perhaps a very different UVB/D3 requirement with these tortoises?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
As far as redfoot and yellowfoot;
They are known to bask little. They also eat more animal protein and can get D3 from that and mushrooms. Perhaps a very different UVB/D3 requirement with these tortoises?
Yeah I can vouch for them not really basking! Ours used to in her old viv but tbh I think it’s cause there weren’t many spots for her to choose from. In her big new upgrade she mainly likes chilling in her hide lol, I used to fret about her getting her UV with how much time she likes spending in there, but I, and I think many agree, they receive far less UV in the wild than most torts. Some argue they don’t really get any altogether, but I personally would always want her having the option🙂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And the second reason for light skin could be to prevent overheating. There are some studies of Russian tortoises being darker in colder areas and lighter in hotter areas. Couldn't find them now, but the hypothesis is that it has to do with attracting heat.
This is exactly what most lizards do. Many of our temperate lizards will be almost black on a cold morning, and that same lizard will have their normal lighter colored cryptic coloration later in that same day after it warms up. Green iguanas do this too.

To add to what @Markw84 explained: Its quite cool on the equatorial islands where Galapagos tortoises come from. I watch the weather there out of curiosity. On Santa Cruz Island wherever their little weather station sensors are, the daily high is in the high 60s to low 70s most of every year, and there is usual very little temperature change from day to night. One of their previous scientific names was Chelonoidis niger. Black tortoise. Their black color allows them to absorb mid day equatorial sun at full blast. The black allows them to heat up, but protects them from the UVB.

By contrast, the daily highs where sulcatas come from is near or over 100 degrees every day. They spend 95% of their lives hiding underground from the burning hot sun. Hence they need no protection from the sun and are tan colored.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@jenlewisbodine
Now that there is some clarification about the benefits or lack thereof of clothing for a tortoise, I'd like to say that you are not the first to do this. And if making tortoise clothing is something that you like to do, I recommend looking up older threads for tortoise clothing and tortoise hats. Etc.
There is a small but active sub section in the hobby that just enjoys that sort of thing.
Any activity that helps you to bond with your tortoise or turtle is probably more beneficial for you both than harmful
Agreed, as long as the tortoise isn't running loose on the floor.