Swollen eyes

Travick

Location (City and/or State)
I don't know yet, they called my girlfriend. But I'll check. Yesterday we called them twice by phone but his doctor wasn't there and they couldn't answer any questions. Even about temps, humidity, weights or food intake details. Receptionist told me that doctor will be there on Saturday only (5 days from Tuesday) and decide the next treatment. I don't want to blame them for his death, but I think I did mistake leaving him there and should check what are their intended next steps. I travelled there for an hour as they has been appraised as the best place for tortoise in the city. And then waited there for another 1 1/2 hour even with appointment. That's 2 and half hours in 20°C just to take him to another place with no chances to get any information about the situation later.

At second appointment on Tuesday the doctor told me that some tortoises born disadvantageously and with beginner's care they have a very little chances to survive and would probably die eaten by predators. Doctor also told me to leave tort there because it's sure tortoise die if I don't. Then sent me caresheet she wrote by email. This was a little bit rough, so only later I was a little bit in uncertainty. Thoughts ran through my head and I tried to keep checking if I'm not becoming just overly hysterical. The thoughts was like: Vet didn't even pick up the tortoise from small box I brought him in. She was reading from vet's records from previous appointment that tortoise did open eyes and now it is worse, because tort's eyes are closed. Well, the previous doctor played with him turning him few times in his hands to make him active and open his eyes and fight back. After 2,5 hour of travel and waiting in a room temperature for 1 1/2 I wouldn't except this. But these was only my personal thoughts later, maybe she was really able to diagnose tortoise that way.

I'm not sure how many mistakes I did, I would make a lot of things differently, but I hope I learnt from this and sometimes I can get enough courage to try again. I love tortoises and think this tort was the most cute and beautiful torotise in this world. This place is the most supportive community and best active source of information about tortoises I know. Thank you very much.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello Travick, I am so sorry for your loss.
I can imagine what thoughts you are thinking now. If you made a mistake leaving the tort by the VET or not, but please don`t punish yourself with these thoughts. You have done all right. When you would have taken your tort back home and he would have died then you would think if it was not better leaving him by the VETs.
There are things that we can`t know and can`t control. It is not in our hands.
You have done all right. Not every tort keeper would drive an hour with his sick tort to a VET. It was not your fault that your baby died.
Start again with another tortoise from a breeder who starts his babies well in humid and warm conditions.