swollen gums star tortoise need help !

starbaby444

Location (City and/or State)
Maharashtra
My star tortoise has swollen gums. He can't eat because of it and his jaw keeps getting stuck in the underside of his shell. We have a UV light for him and I feed him food and medicines however the swelling has still not reduced please hel0

zovick

10 Year Member!
My star tortoise has swollen gums. He can't eat because of it and his jaw keeps getting stuck in the underside of his shell. We have a UV light for him and I feed him food and medicines however the swelling has still not reduced please hel0
It would be easier to offer you help if we could see pictures of the tortoise showing what you mean by swollen gums and the jaw getting stuck on the shell.

It sounds as though the upper beak is overgrown and is catching on the lower shell. Is that right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pictures and a lot more info on everything.
Lighting used
Heat used
Temps, basking, all over, night
Humidity
Substrate
Size and of tort
Size of enclosure
Diet
Anything and everything that pertains to him

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, because tortoises don't have teeth, they have no need for gums. So it's very hard for us to help you as we have no idea what you think 'gums' are. Pictures, please, or a video?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi! We would really like to help you, so please post pictures and give us details of how he is kept? Thanks!

starbaby444

Maharashtra
I consulted a vet and he checked him and told us that his gums were swollen. The roof of his mouth has turned white. I tried to take a photo but it's not clear. We don't keep him in an enclosure since he tries to get out and roam around the house but we do keep him under a UV light as much as we can. He also gets plenty of natural sunlight here. His diet is tomatoes, lettuce, spinach and carrots mixed with calcium and vitamin powder. We live in India so it isn't cold at all here.

starbaby444

Maharashtra
20231229_172642.jpg
he gets his lower jaw stuck inside the bottom of his she'll but I suspect it's because of the swelling on the roof of his mouth. I applied aloe vera and got it out a couple of times and I've fed him from a syringe ever since but still no improvement. He had a respiratory infection a month ago too but he got out of that

starbaby444

Maharashtra
Actually, because tortoises don't have teeth, they have no need for gums. So it's very hard for us to help you as we have no idea what you think 'gums' are. Pictures, please, or a video?
Yeah I thought so too but the vet I took him to said his gums were swollen?? He didn't explain further tho

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How unfortunate that your tortoise has got to this stage. He needs proper care, and to be taken to a good reptile vet. Please take Yvonne's advice at this point.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to keep him in a proper enclosure as roaming your house is too cold and very dangerous. His diet also is very poor.
Besides whatever is going on with his mouth, you need to do much better for him!
@Tom

starbaby444

Maharashtra
It would be easier to offer you help if we could see pictures of the tortoise showing what you mean by swollen gums and the jaw getting stuck on the shell.

It sounds as though the upper beak is overgrown and is catching on the lower shell. Is that right?
His lower jaw keeps getting stuck in the underside of his shell and I suspect it's because of the swelling on the rood of his mouth. I'm unable tow
You need to keep him in a proper enclosure as roaming your house is too cold and very dangerous. His diet also is very poor.
Besides whatever is going on with his mouth, you need to do much better for him!
@Tom
we tried to give him different foods but he refuses to eat them

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
His lower jaw keeps getting stuck in the underside of his shell and I suspect it's because of the swelling on the rood of his mouth. I'm unable tow

we tried to give him different foods but he refuses to eat them
That's too bad for him. You need to think outside the box and trick him into eating what he should be eating. You are the one giving him the bad stuff, he's not helping himself. He never should have had it to begin with and he would be eating what he's suppose to.
Chop up greens small bites, arugula, endive, bok choy, dandelion, water cress, cactus pads, ridicchio, spring mix, the lettuce in small amounts is fine, just to name a few. No tomato or spinach. Squeeze the juice from the tomatoes over the greens. As he starts to except the new foods, stop using the tomato juice. He needs as big a variety as you can possibly get.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We don't keep him in an enclosure since he tries to get out and roam around the house but we do keep him under a UV light as much as we can
This is your problem. He needs to be in a large closed chamber with the proper heating and lighting. Loose on the floor is a recipe for disaster in one of many ways, and you are experiencing the result first hand.

How is he getting natural sunlight? Through the windows, or does he have an enclosure outside too?

What is the over night low temperature in your house? Have you checked the temperature down on the floor where the tortoise is?

Does he have a daytime heat source for 12 hours a day and ambient temps around 30-33C?

starbaby444

Maharashtra
That's too bad for him. You need to think outside the box and trick him into eating what he should be eating. You are the one giving him the bad stuff, he's not helping himself. He never should have had it to begin with and he would be eating what he's suppose to.
Chop up greens small bites, arugula, endive, bok choy, dandelion, water cress, cactus pads, ridicchio, spring mix, the lettuce in small amounts is fine, just to name a few. No tomato or spinach. Squeeze the juice from the tomatoes over the greens. As he starts to except the new foods, stop using the tomato juice. He needs as big a variety as you can possibly get.
Yes thank you so much. We shoukd have thought this through when we first had him. I'll give him these foods!

starbaby444

Maharashtra
This is your problem. He needs to be in a large closed chamber with the proper heating and lighting. Loose on the floor is a recipe for disaster in one of many ways, and you are experiencing the result first hand.

How is he getting natural sunlight? Through the windows, or does he have an enclosure outside too?

What is the over night low temperature in your house? Have you checked the temperature down on the floor where the tortoise is?

Does he have a daytime heat source for 12 hours a day and ambient temps around 30-33C?
we have direct sunlight in our apartment and it comes directly and not through any glass. The temperature in my house is around 32°C and we keep him under the uv light at night. We also take him out in the grass for a walk. Ever since he has fallen sick we keep him under the uv light in the afternoon as well

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
we have direct sunlight in our apartment and it comes directly and not through any glass. The temperature in my house is around 32°C and we keep him under the uv light at night. We also take him out in the grass for a walk. Ever since he has fallen sick we keep him under the uv light in the afternoon as well
If the tortoise is getting direct sunshine, it does not need a UV light ever.

Tortoises need complete darkness at night. They should not be under a UV light at night.

32 is fine for an ambient temperature during the day, but the tortoise still needs a basking area where it can warm up to 37C. I ask again, have you measured the temperature down on the floor where the tortoise is? The floor is almost always cooler than the room temperature at eye level. Tile and other such surfaces suck the heat right out of them.

There are far too many hazards that can kill them, injure them, or make them sick when they are loose in the house. Your tortoise needs a proper enclosure with all the correct heating lighting and substrate. Having it loose in your house has led to the problems you are experiencing. The solution is to correct the husbandry ASAP and hopefully too much damage has not already been done.

Did the vet take an x-ray to rule out intestinal impaction or foreign body ingestion?

Here is the correct care info. This info applies to captive care everywhere in the world, even in their native country:

More here:

starbaby444

Maharashtra
If the tortoise is getting direct sunshine, it does not need a UV light ever.

Tortoises need complete darkness at night. They should not be under a UV light at night.

32 is fine for an ambient temperature during the day, but the tortoise still needs a basking area where it can warm up to 37C. I ask again, have you measured the temperature down on the floor where the tortoise is? The floor is almost always cooler than the room temperature at eye level. Tile and other such surfaces suck the heat right out of them.

There are far too many hazards that can kill them, injure them, or make them sick when they are loose in the house. Your tortoise needs a proper enclosure with all the correct heating lighting and substrate. Having it loose in your house has led to the problems you are experiencing. The solution is to correct the husbandry ASAP and hopefully too much damage has not already been done.

Did the vet take an x-ray to rule out intestinal impaction or foreign body ingestion?

Here is the correct care info. This info applies to captive care everywhere in the world, even in their native country:

More here:
Okay. I was very confused with all the information online regarding the care of star tortoises. I haven't measured the temperature on the floor. I'll buy him a proper enclosure. I do wish I'd found this forum earlier so I could've taken proper Measures but better late than never. The vet told us that it was because of his respiratory infection and suspects slight mouth rot as well. Thankfully my tortoise hasn't lost his appetite yet and eats his meals well

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay. I was very confused with all the information online regarding the care of star tortoises. I haven't measured the temperature on the floor. I'll buy him a proper enclosure. I do wish I'd found this forum earlier so I could've taken proper Measures but better late than never. The vet told us that it was because of his respiratory infection and suspects slight mouth rot as well. Thankfully my tortoise hasn't lost his appetite yet and eats his meals well
Most of the care info out in the world is all wrong. Its very confusing and conflicting. You have now found the right care info. His health issues are a direct result of how he has been housed.

You won't be able to buy a "tortoise" enclosure large enough. Your tortoise needs something around 122x244cm and it needs to be a closed chamber. I doubt they sell anything like that in your country, but maybe you or someone could build it? You could make something out of a sheet of plywood with walls, and somehow cover it. Over here some people use large portable green houses for this purpose.

If your house never drops below 26-27C, then you won't need ambient heat, but you still need a basking area when the tortoise is indoors.

Outdoor housing in a large well-planted enclosure would be great for this tortoise too. If you attach a temperature controlled shelter for night time, your tortoise could live outside full time. Here is one example of how to do a night box for outdoor housing:

The tortoise could be brought into the house on rainy monsoon days, and spend sunny days outside with plenty of shade available to escape the intense heat.

starbaby444

Maharashtra
Most of the care info out in the world is all wrong. Its very confusing and conflicting. You have now found the right care info. His health issues are a direct result of how he has been housed.

You won't be able to buy a "tortoise" enclosure large enough. Your tortoise needs something around 122x244cm and it needs to be a closed chamber. I doubt they sell anything like that in your country, but maybe you or someone could build it? You could make something out of a sheet of plywood with walls, and somehow cover it. Over here some people use large portable green houses for this purpose.

If your house never drops below 26-27C, then you won't need ambient heat, but you still need a basking area when the tortoise is indoors.

Outdoor housing in a large well-planted enclosure would be great for this tortoise too. If you attach a temperature controlled shelter for night time, your tortoise could live outside full time. Here is one example of how to do a night box for outdoor housing:

The tortoise could be brought into the house on rainy monsoon days, and spend sunny days outside with plenty of shade available to escape the intense heat.
Yeah it isn't available in my country but I'll see if I can manage something. Again thank you so much