t9dragon's Diamondbacks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

t9dragon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest
Yes, I have Diamondback Terrapins to go along with my Eastern Box turtles, Russian tortoises and Sulcata.

The Diamondbacks were the start of my turtle/tortoise craze. I have had them for 3 of them for almost 4 years and than this week I came across 3 more adults for $150 shipped and just couldn't pass them up. So now I have 6 DBT's. My plan is to build a pond and sitting area where I can enjoy them in a more natural setting then in an aquarium.

So do any of you keep you DBT's outside in ponds and if so how did you build the pond and post pics so that I can get some ideas. Also how do you control the mosquitoes that will breed in the water? Also can I put Koi in with the DBT's? Thanks for your help and my DBT's thank you too....

I will be posting pics of my DBT's shortly....

Here are some pics from when we got them 4 years ago..

DSC05660.jpg

DSC05665.jpg

DSC05672.jpg

DSC05653.jpg

pics from 3-09.. I started out with 3 DBT's and added a nice female to give me 4 DBT's.

Here is the new female eating a goldfish...

DSC09657.jpg

here is a pic of the female I bought with the runt from the first 3 I bought in September of 2008.

dbt.jpg

The Runt passed away 3 months ago.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
Very nice! DBTs r my favorite u have great tastes in turts ! I keep 2 DBTs in a 300 gallon pond in my backyard and 2 in my aquarium I'll post pics later of the pond + pond turtles . It's hard keeping the Mosquitos out of the water , I just scoop them out with my net , they come back sometimes but recently I haven't seen any for awhile . There's not a lot of Mosquitos around here anyway

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
For the mosquitos in a pond I use Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis. This bacteria is specific to mosquitos and harmless to all other living things.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Mosquitos will be dealt with naturally. At least that's what I've observed from my turtle and fish ponds. The circulation of the water plus any tadpoles that may come from frogs laying eggs will keep larva away. Mosquitos usually only nest in still water. So try to have a fountain or something in there.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I keep mosquito fish in my pond. They reproduce so quickly that I take 50 or so every few months back to the pet store. Nice terrapins btw.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
jonathan512 said:
Very nice! DBTs r my favorite u have great tastes in turts ! I keep 2 DBTs in a 300 gallon pond in my backyard and 2 in my aquarium I'll post pics later of the pond + pond turtles . It's hard keeping the Mosquitos out of the water , I just scoop them out with my net , they come back sometimes but recently I haven't seen any for awhile . There's not a lot of Mosquitos around here anyway

Heres some pics of my pond , nothing fancy its still in its early stages ,its a 300 gallon stock tank with a skippy filter ,some logs and 4 turtles .im going to add more plants when i get around to it lol .

photo-57.jpg

photo-58.jpg

photo-59.jpg

photo-60.jpg

photo-61.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.