TAP WATER?

aqualungs

Location (City and/or State)
Perry, OH
Is tap water ok for soaks and consumption. I have been using distilled water but just wondered?

I use water from a zero water pitcher. At least it gets rid of the chlorine. If you let the tap water sit 24 hours the chlorine will gas out and then you’d be fine

snivloc16

Kansas
Yes. I’ve seen others on here say if it’s safe for you to drink and bathe in its safe for your tort.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If its good enough for you its good enough for them. Just a heads up though if you had "Hard Water"- over time it can and will leave a stain on the shell

Cherryman304

Like since I've gotten them I have only put them In Distilled water. But how do you warm your water to 90 degrees. I hate to throw them in 70 degrees room temp water. Talk about a shock. I wouldn't do that. 70 degree pool water is cold as hell. So what I have been doing is double layering my soak tubs. I fill the bottom of the first one with really hot water then the second I place over and pour room temp distilled water in and let it heat up. It rarely goes over 93. So now that I know tap water is ok I'll have to look into the hardness or a faucet filter.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I warm up the water in a large glass measuring in the microwave. 48 seconds 3/4 filled heats up to about 91. By the time I pour it in the bath container it’s 89.

Cherryman304

I warm up the water in a large glass measuring in the microwave. 48 seconds 3/4 filled heats up to about 91. By the time I pour it in the bath container it’s 89.
See I was wondering about a microwave. I figured if I mentioned it on here everyone would think I was crazy.

Cherryman304

Bahahaha. I dont think I'll have a better laugh today. Just reminded me of that one commercial where the guy goes on a blind date from a dating app and the girl ends up being a ugly dude. The guy say I thought it said you were a French Model. The ugly guy say "bonjour". The guy says what you dont believe everything you read on the internet. Lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Like since I've gotten them I have only put them In Distilled water. But how do you warm your water to 90 degrees. I hate to throw them in 70 degrees room temp water. Talk about a shock. I wouldn't do that. 70 degree pool water is cold as hell. So what I have been doing is double layering my soak tubs. I fill the bottom of the first one with really hot water then the second I place over and pour room temp distilled water in and let it heat up. It rarely goes over 93. So now that I know tap water is ok I'll have to look into the hardness or a faucet filter.
You can place the tub you have them soaking underneath your CHE. That will warm it up, or keep it warm while they are soaking.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If your tap water is safe for you to drink then it is safe for your tortoise to drink.

Distilled water should not be used for soaks and drinking as it doesn’t contain the minerals that are good for your, and your tort’s health. There is absolutely no need to used bottled water of any kind unless your tap water is unsafe to drink.

Use warm water from your hot tap for a soak... it should be comfortably warm - not hot. Think baby bath rather than a hot tub that you might enjoy.

Use a large flat-bottomed bowl that your tortoise cannot see over or through. A washing up bowl is ideal as the larger volume of water is slower to cool.

The water should be deep enough to come just up over the join between the plastron (undershell) and the shell.

Soaking is most successful done first thing in the morning before your tortoise has warmed up properly. Get the temperature right and your tort will just relax and enjoy