Tater-tort soak

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
TN
This is my friend Tater-tort that I rescued from a college student that kept him/her under his bed. Tater has rarely seen sunlight or any light for that matter. We are working hard on nutrition and lighting to try and help with the pyramiding. I'm new to the forum so I'm always up for helpful hints and advice.

IMG_20110813_144334.jpg

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I agree that working on the lighting is important. Any chance you can get him safely out into the sunlight?

Good luck.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi & welcome. thanks for taking that little guy in. some one with experience will help you. i have pancake torts. so... hang in there they are going to help you here! good luck . lindy

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
We have play-time everyday in the sun. I'm working on an outdoor enclosure that will be about 15x20. For now, we try to get in a couple of hours everyday. He loves it! I'm really trying to give this wonderful animal the life that it deserves.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Aww thank you for rescuing the poor little guy! It sounds like he is in great hands now :)

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
So great you've come to Tater's rescue. Tom has great advice. Will look forward to seeing how Tater progresses.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi dbsneed69:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Tater is one lucky tortoise to have found such a caring person to take care of him.

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
My name is Dennis. I live in TN. I know it's bending the rules but there are some exemptions that I can use. "Rules 1200-14-01-.37 and -.38 contain exemptions that allow turtles to be sold in particular cases. Specifically, turtles can be sold for scientific and educational purposes to an "institution," defined generally as a school, university, research lab or zoo. Turtles can also be sold as food. Additionally, it is not illegal for a wholesaler to breed turtles and sell them to wholesale or retail pet dealers or stores outside the state of Tennessee." So, until I have a breeding pair, Tater is being raised as "food." By my estimates, Tater should be large enough to feed a family of 5 in about 20 years.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
dbsneed69 said:
My name is Dennis. I live in TN. I know it's bending the rules but there are some exemptions that I can use. "Rules 1200-14-01-.37 and -.38 contain exemptions that allow turtles to be sold in particular cases. Specifically, turtles can be sold for scientific and educational purposes to an "institution," defined generally as a school, university, research lab or zoo. Turtles can also be sold as food. Additionally, it is not illegal for a wholesaler to breed turtles and sell them to wholesale or retail pet dealers or stores outside the state of Tennessee." So, until I have a breeding pair, Tater is being raised as "food." By my estimates, Tater should be large enough to feed a family of 5 in about 20 years.

What?! Are you saying Tater will become food? D:

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
No no no..... you can only have turtles or torts in TN if you are going to use them as food. You can also be a breeder. I'm using the food excuse incase I'm ever questioned by animal control or TN wildlife. If I aquire a second tort, I can say I am a breeder. In TN you can breed turtles and torts if they are going to be sold in other states.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
and I thought NJ was the only state with stupid rules. It is illegal to buy or sell turtles and tortoise in NJ. I was able to get a permit for my sulcata as I bought him out of state. I did not have a receipt, but explained that I had gotten him at a reptile show and then was unable to obtain a receipt and I was given a permit (after paying of course :p ) Perhaps you can explain to the state about rescuing this little guy or you could use a similar story as mine?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Since I read your post about how tort was stolen, I wanted to see pics of him. I sure hope you get him back. He needs your care and love, not some d*mn crook! So upsetting.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.