Teff Hay??

BugBreath22

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello all! Happy Saturday!! I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Teff hay. I think it would be a good thing to mix in with the other types of grass hays I feed myTortoises due to its high fiber/ low protein and sugar content but am a little unsure because it does contain oxalate. Does anyone know if the trace amounts are something that is too high so it would Ultimately cancel out all the other benefits or is it minute enough that Along with a total balanced diet it would be beneficial and not pose threat with calcium absorption? Any thoughts would be appreciated. =)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since it comes from South Africa, I imagine it's something African tortoises are used to eating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since it comes from South Africa, I imagine it's something African tortoises are used to eating.
I didn't see that. That is pretty neat-o. I might see if I can find some to try at a local feed store.

Bermuda grass is originally from Africa too, despite the name.

BugBreath22

Southern California
I've never heard of it, but found this: https://thehorse.com/160143/teff-hay-for-horses-pros-and-cons/

I use Bermuda hay, orchard grass hay, and soaked Timothy pellets. Seems like the Teff hay would be a fine way to add some more fiber and variety.

What species and size tortoise are you feeding?
I have Sulcatas
I've never heard of it, but found this: https://thehorse.com/160143/teff-hay-for-horses-pros-and-cons/

I use Bermuda hay, orchard grass hay, and soaked Timothy pellets. Seems like the Teff hay would be a fine way to add some more fiber and variety.

What species and size tortoise are you feeding?
Hello and thanks for your input! I’ve got some Sulcatas and a bunch of Russians. All are adult.... The Sulcatas are 20-26ish inches. I’m in Southern California and my hay supplier got some of this Teff hay in which I’ve never heard of before. It looked really good because it wasn’t very stemmy and had a lot of leaves. I wanted to do a little research though before I tried it. When I found out it was from Africa I thought I might be on to something for my Sulcatas. There just isn’t very much info available on it and hardly any regarding tortoises.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I wondered the same and looked into contacting her but unfortunately she passed away last year.
Then contact Leonard Lauriault instead. The article mentioned him too. New Mexico's Cooperative Extension Service. Stuff like this is right up their alley.
https://aces.nmsu.edu/directory/person.php?person_id=304

If there's enough interest and willing participants (read: tortoise keepers with plenty of tortoises), they might be willing to do a study. You'd get your answers, and there would most likely be a write-up (academic paper and/or agricultural type guidance publication) from a highly respected entity with a lot of credibility behind it.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I have fed Teff hay to my sulcata for about 3 years now. He also gets some bermuda and orchard hay. He definitely prefers the teff to orchard hay, but it's a toss up between bermuda and teff.

BugBreath22

Southern California
Then contact Leonard Lauriault instead. The article mentioned him too. New Mexico's Cooperative Extension Service. Stuff like this is right up their alley.
https://aces.nmsu.edu/directory/person.php?person_id=304

If there's enough interest and willing participants (read: tortoise keepers with plenty of tortoises), they might be willing to do a study. You'd get your answers, and there would most likely be a write-up (academic paper and/or agricultural type guidance publication) from a highly respected entity with a lot of credibility behind it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to get in touch with him and go from there.. Thanks again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have fed Teff hay to my sulcata for about 3 years now. He also gets some bermuda and orchard hay. He definitely prefers the teff to orchard hay, but it's a toss up between bermuda and teff.
That is good to know Joe. That also tells me its available here in SoCal.

Funny. Mine much prefer the orchard over the Bermuda. I wonder how they will like the Teff? Thank you for the info! :)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
That is good to know Joe. That also tells me its available here in SoCal.

Funny. Mine much prefer the orchard over the Bermuda. I wonder how they will like the Teff? Thank you for the info! :)
Tom, You should have no trouble getting a bale or two of Teff. If you do, call me and I'll bring you some. My in-laws have horses. When their horse Vet recommended Teff for a couple of the older animals I grabbed a couple of flakes to feed to my sulcata. He went for it right away so, I have been feeding it since. That was 3-plus years ago. There was no science to my feeding Teff. It was (and is still) free and my tortoise eats it. Perfect food.