Temperature controller

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I've used that exact same one for a year no problems.

Maggie T

Los Angeles
iPower Digital ETL-Certified 68-108å¡F Heat Mat Thermostat Control Controller for Seed Germination, Reptiles and Brewing

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've been using one since setting up my enclosure last summer ... I'm a big fan.

It helps me keep my redfoot's enclosure temp exactly where I want it, regardless of the weather in NH.

IMG_8639.jpg

You can see the cycling of the temp day and night as it turns the heat on and off.

Jamie

Maggie T

Los Angeles
Which brand?
I see one called Century available on Amazon, and the one I posted from Zenhydro.com

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
what does it connect to. I am new at this. trying to get my tortoise house ready.
You plug it into the wall, then you plug your che into the thermostat, and thermostat has a little temperature probe that you put in the enclosure.

bscar1019

New Orleans
Those controllers work well; they are great for a single, small-medium enclosure and have a great price point. As you mentioned the bayite controllers, they make more sense if you need to control temps in a much larger enclosure and will be pulling high watts which is why they cost more. They also come in dual mode where you have a fan come on to circulate air if temps get too high. More features more $$.

Maggie T

Los Angeles
Those controllers work well; they are great for a single, small-medium enclosure and have a great price point. As you mentioned the bayite controllers, they make more sense if you need to control temps in a much larger enclosure and will be pulling high watts which is why they cost more. They also come in dual mode where you have a fan come on to circulate air if temps get too high. More features more $$.

Yes indeed. Wish I had known that before. Lol

TheWaveCarver

New York
Just figured I'd drop in and mention that I use the exact thermostat (In the first post) in a greenhouse that measures 3 feet by 8 feet. Its connected to two 60Watt CHEs. So far, its been extremely reliable.

Just dont put the temperature probe directly next to or close to a CHE. I put mine in the middle of the enclosure so the middle of the temperature gradient is at 83 Degrees F (I have a cherryhead).

Maggie T

Los Angeles
TheWaveCarver, thanks for the tip! Any problem keeping your Cherry head from getting tangled up in the wire?

TheWaveCarver

New York
I have it taped to the side of the plastic tube inside the enclosure. Its sits about 10 inches above the substrate, so the wire doesnt run through the livable part of the enclosure. I made sure to keep it out of reach! I was afraid he'd try to bite the probe or the wire!

Maggie T

Los Angeles
I have it taped to the side of the plastic tube inside the enclosure. Its sits about 10 inches above the substrate, so the wire doesnt run through the livable part of the enclosure. I made sure to keep it out of reach! I was afraid he'd try to bite the probe or the wire!

So the probe doesn’t need to be on the substrate? I’d read somewhere that to truly measure the temperature the animals feel the probe needs to be on the substrate. Another bit of misinformation out there?