Temperature question

Status
Not open for further replies.

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Last night the temperature dropped to below 14c (57f) where my tortoises stay inside at night or when its too wet outside (in my house between the kitchen & outhouses). I do have a max/min temperature gage, but I'd left it out in the rain & it's now not working, so the temps could be lower.

What is the lowest temperture for them to be ok at night? I thought maybe this is getting too cold. I live in the UK, so low temps could become more frequent now.

What would you recommend for heating the room/enclosure? They are in a 2'x4' tortoise table at the minute, so fairly open.

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
chris_m90731 said:
Wow. Um, I'm not really sure why ANYONE in the UK (or anywhere it stays consistently cold and dreary) would choose to buy a massive desert tortoise such as the sulcata. BUT, since you already have him/her, I'd recommend -- and recently purchased, a "pig blanket," from http://www.osbornelivestockequipment.com/shop/category/27.

I wouldn't ... They're Greek :)

& it's not such a bad country ;)

yoda3106

5 Year Member
esiotrot said:
Last night the temperature dropped to below 14c (57f) where my tortoises stay inside at night or when its too wet outside (in my house between the kitchen & outhouses). I do have a max/min temperature gage, but I'd left it out in the rain & it's now not working, so the temps could be lower.

What is the lowest temperture for them to be ok at night? I thought maybe this is getting too cold. I live in the UK, so low temps could become more frequent now.

What would you recommend for heating the room/enclosure? They are in a 2'x4' tortoise table at the minute, so fairly open.

If it is Greek ibera's you have then night time temps shouldnt drop below 12C, I think that works out to 53F, it should never drop below this for any g reeks really!! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Louise, I would PM GBTortoises and attach a link to this thread.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Russians need several days below 65f and nights below 50f. Not just one day, but several with little sunshine. True hibernation takes place with temps below 45f. 38-42 is ideal.

See I did learn something from GB!

Status
Not open for further replies.