Temperature Drops

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Are there any easy ways to maintain a higher ambient temperature in an open topped setup?

I'm more concerned with the drops at night, which have gotten into around the low 60s. This has never been a problem in the past, as I had more of a closed chamber setup. I built a much larger table this summer, but only recently learned about the issue as temperature wasn't a worry in the summer.

Would a night CHE bulb be possible or possibly a small night box within the setup? Or should I try to close off the entire enclosure again.

Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are there any easy ways to maintain a higher ambient temperature in an open topped setup?

I'm more concerned with the drops at night, which have gotten into around the low 60s. This has never been a problem in the past, as I had more of a closed chamber setup. I built a much larger table this summer, but only recently learned about the issue as temperature wasn't a worry in the summer.

Would a night CHE bulb be possible or possibly a small night box within the setup? Or should I try to close off the entire enclosure again.

Thanks!

How about offering an area in the enclosure that offers the hot/basking temps and then figure a way to keep the majority of the enclosure a bit warmer but still offering a cool dry area?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Low 60s at night is fine for a Russian the size of the one in your avatar.

If you want more ambient heat, set up a CHE or two on a thermostat. Be aware that more electric heat dries everything out horribly, so you will need to be soaking more often and be sure to keep the substrate properly damp.

To answer your original question: No. There is no easy way. If room temp and humidity is not what your species of tortoise needs, then there is no practical way to do it with an open top. In most American homes, room temp in our heated houses suits the Testudo species of tortoise just fine. They just need adequate moisture and moderate humidity, along with a warm basking area during the day.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Increased thermal mass should increase heat retention in an open enclosure ... big rocks or tiles will absorb heat in the warm of day and release it during the cool hours more slowly than will orchid bark or other bedding.

Jamie