Temperature trouble

vianey1126

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Arizona
I have some small sulcatas and they live in a nice plastic tub with a basking light and a CHE. Temperatures are good and comfy right now, but it is starting to get a little cold. I am worried my lamps might not be enough in the winter as even at night my CHE is barely keeping the enclosure at the 70s. My basking light usually does the work keeping temps up but my torts would need a day/night cycle, so I would prefer not to keep it on all the time. Any tips to help us get through the winter? I have a few ideas: Putting my plastic bin in a bigger bin and maybe putting blankets in the space between the bins or something (to insulate the bin I suppose), getting another CHE, or using a heating pad in addition to the CHE I currently have. It would probably be good to get another CHE for the night, but I am concerned since the CHE I have right now is having some trouble keeping temps up. If I get a heating pad, where would it go? I would also like to note this is a closed chamber enclosure. These ideas might sound a bit weird but I'm open to ideas to start preparing for the long winter ahead.

While I have you guys here, is attaching some moss somewhere out of reach of my tortoises a good way to help keep the humidity up? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to click on the link I am pasting on here and make much needed changes asap! Your torts likely need a bigger enclosure then most totes can provide for multiple sulcatas and/or they each need their own. They need closed chamber enclosures with temps never below 80 day and night or you will have very sick tortoises.
Thread 'The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

vianey1126

Southern Arizona
Post pics of the enclosure and torts so we can better help you make the changes needed.
This is my basic set up right now. The lamp is out because I took this while I was soaking my torts, but it usually goes in the hole in the corner. The aluminum foil traps heat and humidity from the cut so i can open the box without having to move my lamps and such. I was told this was a good basic set up for a few months, so I'm open to suggestions on this or for a better enclosure. Inside, I have reptibark and a good humid hide as well as terracotta dishes. Would a flat rock under the basking area help retain heat somehow? Thanks for the advice in advance. I've had these guys for almost two months now.

Attachments

• 1637353164503.png
    1637353164503.png
    172.9 KB · Views: 20

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just wondering. How many you have in that tote?

Overall minimum ambient temp needs to be 80F. Since that tote is so small, couldnt you easily move the whole thing inside your house/garage for this Winter?

You definitely don’t want your basking light running 24/7. You also don’t want to insulate with blankets. There are many wattages of CHE out there from pretty low to 250watts or so. Make sure you are using thermostats with your CHEs so it can turn off & on to regulate temps.

Good luck

vianey1126

Southern Arizona
Just wondering. How many you have in that tote?

Overall minimum ambient temp needs to be 80F. Since that tote is so small, couldnt you easily move the whole thing inside your house/garage for this Winter?

You definitely don’t want your basking light running 24/7. You also don’t want to insulate with blankets. There are many wattages of CHE out there from pretty low to 250watts or so. Make sure you are using thermostats with your CHEs so it can turn off & on to regulate temps.

Good luck
Hello! Thanks for the response! I have two little torts (One was planned and the other was not because roommate couldn't resist). I have my thermostats running but I still get a bit worried that temps will still get too low. I used to have them in my room, but they apparently got a bit smelly according to my roommate with a sensitive nose, so I am a bit hesitant with putting them in the garage, but I might just put them there for their safety. I think I have 100 watts on my CHE, and I do believe it is a 20-30 gallon tote box... should I upgrade the CHE? I don't know if that wattage would be a bit of overkill or not. Thanks for responding! Just want to be prepared for the chilly months.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unless your garage is heated, it likely will get too cold for them on your cold nights.
This same room mate that couldn't resist now has a problem with a smell? Hmmm, I think thats going to be too bad for the room mate.
I would get a bigger tote or actually get another tote and seperate them. Is one tort smaller then the other? They won't be able to stay together very long and one will bully the other if it hasn't started already. Now would be a good time seeing changes are needed anyway. Blankets won't work.