Temporary Enclosure

Jess93

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hello I’m new here and I wondered if anyone could help me!

I’ve got a Russian tortoise who lives on her own… she use to live with my parents 2 Herman’s but my children really wanted a pet so we took her in. I’m going away for the weekend soon. I wondered if it was ok to take her back to my parents so she’s being looked after and fed etc. Will it stress her out by moving her back to her old friends or will she be ok?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello I’m new here and I wondered if anyone could help me!

I’ve got a Russian tortoise who lives on her own… she use to live with my parents 2 Herman’s but my children really wanted a pet so we took her in. I’m going away for the weekend soon. I wondered if it was ok to take her back to my parents so she’s being looked after and fed etc. Will it stress her out by moving her back to her old friends or will she be ok?
Hello!
Any changes are stressful for tortoises and encounters with other tortoises stress them even more. If your tortoise has a secure outdoor pen or well set up indoors enclosure it's better not to move it around. Give her a good bath before leaving and after coming back, put some food for one day (or something long-lasting like a cactus pad).

Jess93

United Kingdom
Hello!
Any changes are stressful for tortoises and encounters with other tortoises stress them even more. If your tortoise has a secure outdoor pen or well set up indoors enclosure it's better not to move it around. Give her a good bath before leaving and after coming back, put some food for one day (or something long-lasting like a cactus pad).
Thank you for the information 🙂

Also just for future reference what do you do when you are away for more than a weekend? Do you do the same but make sure there’s plenty of food to eat/graze? My tortoise is very fussy and does not like the pellets. What foods last a few days?

I’ve got a plant that’s growing near the enclosure what look like Dandelions but have prickly leaves, could I thread them through so she can eat them when she pleases?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. This is a little bit complicated. In the first place, nice as it may have seemed for the Russian and the Hermans tortoises to have been living together (in the same enclosure?), it's really not good to mix different species, for a number of reasons. However, when you took away the Russian from the group, what you did was leave two tortoises to live together, which is actually not a good thing for either of them. I am not meaning to scold or admonish you in any way, and I hope you don't feel offended, it's just that what I have said is the plain truth concerning tortoise husbandry that I have gratefully learned since I joined this forum years ago. I honestly don't know what I could suggest you do now, but maybe someone else here may offer their ideas. All the best!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome from a fellow uk member! I’d definitely try and leave them in the home they are used to🙂

They didn’t live in the same enclosure as the Herman’s did they? Species shouldn’t mix so definitely don’t place them back there if that’s the case. Two hermans shouldn’t be living in the same set up as a pair either, if they are perhaps you could pass this info on to your folks?
Tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

Whilst you’re here I don’t suppose you’d mind sharing some info on how you’re keeping them?🙂
Is it an indoor or outdoor set up? What size?
What are your temps like? Ie basking area(directly under the bulb) overall day temps, night temp?
What kind of lighting/heating are you using?
Any indoor uv? If so what kind?
What do you use for substrate?

Any info you’re willing to share, along with a photo of your full set up(s) would be wonderful! Would also be lovey to see a pic of your little cutie🥰

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Holiday care is always difficult and needs planning. I tend to leave for 2 nights max with plenty of food and water and no hazards or anything to climb or get near the heat lamp. I also have a camera on the enc so I can monitor whilst absent When I get back food is finished so longer would not be an option. Age also has to be considered as hatchlings and yearlings tend to flip, as they get older they do less and if they do they can self right. Best is to ask a neighbour or friend to pop in and feed and top water up. Make instructions as simple as possible so not complicated. Alternative is to research a tortoise hotel or pet shop that will house whilst your away. In the UK there are lots of options.