Temps never exact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Ok, I wanted to post some ideas on temps. I have seen a lot of posts latley where newcomers ask about good basking/ambient temps. Then there is the usual debate like always. Ok first thing is, your ambient or basking temps will ALWAYS vary. There is no exact way to keep temps constant. If you use a thermostat and you wanna acheive 95 for a basking spot, once 95 is acheived the light will shut off and temps will probably drop about 3° before it kicks on again. Rheostats suck in my book, you cant control temps with these like a thermo rather just the output of the bulb. So newcombers instead of getting all worked up because someone with 3000 posts says 100° is the exact temp, let it slide. As I have stated and will continue to do, THERE CAN BE NO EXACT/CONSTANT TEMPS!!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I hope one of us hasn't gotten under your skin, Trent. I think most of us normally say "...temp appx such and such..."

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Um, yeah? Here's a shocker for ya....Their not exact in the wild either.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I hope one of us hasn't gotten under your skin, Trent. I think most of us normally say "...temp appx such and such..."

Lol, no one has. I was just trying to make a point so people dont stress over it to much.

harris said:
Um, yeah? Here's a shocker for ya....Their not exact in the wild either.

Really? You positive about that. Dont be an ***, the point of the thread was exactly that. If it's not constant in the wild then why would it have to be in captivity?

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I guess that I would have to ask then, in which post did anyone every say that temps in an enclosure absolutely had to be exact or constant? This site is pretty good about providing clear and accurate info about a variety of husbandry issues and I have yet to see anyone make a statement even close to that, but the tone of your post makes me think that I've missed something.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
While I think the OP may be overreacting a tad, I know where he is coming from. Lots of newbies and worried 'moms' really get tied up over this sort of thing. They want EXACT sizes, temps, light durations, humidity levels, food lists, etc. to aim for and are frustrated that such do not really exist.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I know that when I use the heat lamp during the day, the substrate absorbs a lot of the heat and it only losses a few degrees during the night.

My Cleo loves to bury herself. I have 3 different thermometers, one probe is burried into the substrate, once in a while she unearths it by buriying herself under it. Why does she never bury herself in the same place twice? Probally for the same reason my wife constantly moves the conforter, blankets and pillow during the night. They both like to drive me Koo-coo bananas.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
what are the exact temps for me sulcata suppose to be??? this post wont be around in a week so might as well gget used to it because with all the new post this one will keep getting bumped down and in a month no one will remember it then some one new will join and ask the question if your annoyed then dont log on from my understanding this site is suppose to help out with things people dont know so just take it easy because people are going to take you the wrong way

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
bobbymoore said:
what are the exact temps for me sulcata suppose to be??? this post wont be around in a week so might as well gget used to it because with all the new post this one will keep getting bumped down and in a month no one will remember it then some one new will join and ask the question if your annoyed then dont log on from my understanding this site is suppose to help out with things people dont know so just take it easy because people are going to take you the wrong way

While it's always a good idea to search forums for specific information before asking questions (at least, that's what I do), I have NEVER seen anyone get raked over the coals for asking a question that has been asked and answered a million times before...that is the beauty of this forum. Don't worry if you can't find a specific thread later on, the question is bound to come up again and be answered again.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
bobbymoore said:
yep thats true but some people dont liek serching they want the answer right away

That's OK...like I've said, It's done everyday here and the questions always get answered in a timely manner.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
bobbymoore said:
yep thats true but some people dont liek serching they want the answer right away

Funny, since the fastest way to get an answer is to search for it.

I am undecided as to whether it is laziness or computer illiteracy that prevents these people from searching. Why expect someone else to help you when you refuse to help yourself?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
exoticsdr said:
Don't worry if you can't find a specific thread later on, the question is bound to come up again and be answered again.

And, hopefully, with a smile! I know that sometimes I get a little tired of answering the same questions over and over again, but you have to bite your tongue and answer pleasantly. Sometimes new members aren't familiar with our format, don't know how to search, and maybe need help immediately. But most of all, each member is an individual and deserves to be treated with respect.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
You are totally correct Yvonne, sometimes I shake my head wondering just why the heck they are asking such a simple question that has obviously been asked many times before, then I think about all those that come to me everday in my professional life and ask the same questions, but I never think twice about answering without the same bias.....I guess we are so used to the internet being a part of our lives, we take it for granted.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Ok, I guess some just cant grasp the concept of this post. Exoticsdr, take your pic, you can look around at a lot of posts and see exactly what im talking about. This in no way was a thread to b!tch about anyone so I dont know why some seem to take offense to it. It goes back to a lot of threads I have been reading in which newbies ask about bulbs, temps, thermos, rheos. I was reading a post and I forgot who said it bit she stated we way over think all this stuff. I guess the post is ment to ease peoples minds that they dont need to spend hundreds on all kinds of crap for there torts to be happy/healthy. I was the same way when I started collecting snakes 15 years ago, I bought everything I read about and eventually u said screw it and did it my way. I have 10 snakes over 20 feet long so I must be doing something right. Now I assume the same applies to torts. So yeah the purpose of the thread was to ease the minds of those worried about all the stuff I used to be. Its amazing how people take offense to the stupidest stuff

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am sorry Tnewton, but it just seems to us that YOU are the one bothered or offended. I don't see where Dr. Weston was rude to you in any way. Honestly, to me the very first post sounded like you were upset about something, not that you were trying to help people or ease their minds, but more like you have a problem with the advice given out on the forum.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Tnewton said:
Ok, I guess some just cant grasp the concept of this post.

What gave you that idea?
Exoticsdr, take your pic, you can look around at a lot of posts and see exactly what im talking about.

Well, as most know on this forum, I'm no shrinking violet and love nothing more than a little verbal scrap.....so...put your money where your mouth is and take my pick for me....provide the proof to your original arguement that nobody obviously understood (since it was so well written).
This in no way was a thread to b!tch about anyone so I dont know why some seem to take offense to it.

There was no offense taken to it, until you called made it into a a thread that someone took offense to.....well, except for calling another member an ***.
It goes back to a lot of threads I have been reading in which newbies ask about bulbs, temps, thermos, rheos. I was reading a post and I forgot who said it bit she stated we way over think all this stuff. I guess the post is ment to ease peoples minds that they dont need to spend hundreds on all kinds of crap for there torts to be happy/healthy. I was the same way when I started collecting snakes 15 years ago, I bought everything I read about and eventually u said screw it and did it my way. I have 10 snakes over 20 feet long so I must be doing something right.

I've never called into question your knowledge, just your perception of what you read.....where's the BEEF? as the old commercial said. You provide me ONE post that says that a temp has to be kept at a certain temp without variation and I will gladly apologize to you PUBLICLY...I doubt that you would be so magnanimus.
Now I assume the same applies to torts.

Well, you know what they say about assuming.
So yeah the purpose of the thread was to ease the minds of those worried about all the stuff I used to be. Its amazing how people take offense to the stupidest stuff.

Well, you got the last word in your diatribe correct.

Doc

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Ok, ill see if I can find the post or posts I am talking about. Yeah my bad, I did call someone an ***. When your trying to make a post to help or intend to help someone out and some *** comes along and makes a stupid comment then yeah by no means do I feel the need to hold my tongue. My knowledge of torts is very limited as I have not kept them long, but exactly how does the care of a tort differ so greatly from a green anaconda or water monitor?

Kristina said:
I am sorry Tnewton, but it just seems to us that YOU are the one bothered or offended. I don't see where Dr. Weston was rude to you in any way. Honestly, to me the very first post sounded like you were upset about something, not that you were trying to help people or ease their minds, but more like you have a problem with the advice given out on the forum.

WHERE EXACTLY IN THE POST DOES IT SAY "DR, YOUR BEING RUDE TO ME"

THE ONLY PERSON THAT HAS BEEN SOMEWHAT RUDE IS THE CLOWN WHO POSTED THAT TEMPS OUTSIDE ARENT CONSTANT AS WELL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What I'm getting here is a pretty big act of misunderstanding by most everyone who has responded to the thread. Please let's don't allow our tempers to get the best of us. Everyone just cool down and let's give Trent the benefit of the doubt. He was trying to put newbie's minds at ease about needing an exact temperature...point being, they don't need to be exact.
So let's move on.

And Please: no name calling.

The number one rule of the forum:

Do not post anything blatantly rude and/or insulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.