Temps under a log hide

usameisje

Location (City and/or State)
Redmond,WA
I have a half log in the enclosure. It’s about 8 inches long and an inch taller than the hatchling’s shell underneath. Hatchling cherry head has decided this is the favored place to sleep.

If all the heat comes from above via heat lamps, how to you keep the temp under a log safe for the tortoise? The best I can get temp wise is 70-75 F underneath. Should i get rid of it and hope my hatchling prefers the dark covered side of the enclosure to sleep in? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I gave up on the Powersun I had earlier and now have the recommended separate lamps. (i had the Zoomed recommended fixture and blew 3 powersuns in 7 days, so I changed things- glad I was able to get money back)

the rest of my enclosure is 80 on the dark side, 95 directly under the heat, 90 everywhere else. humidity 75-85 depends upon where in the enclosure you are.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm having sort of the same problem. My 2 year old insists on sleeping under a plant, instead of his humid hide.

Does yours have a humid hide? The half log is too open to be one. A humid hide can be a plastic bin turned upside down with a door opening cut into the side or end. It gets cozy warm and holds humidity for the tortoise to sleep in at night.

Mine goes to sleep under the plant every night. Later, when I go to bed, I reach in and pick him up and put him into the hide. When I get up, sometimes he has stayed in it, and sometimes he's out, but at least he slept warm and humid.

I have his hide under a layer of substrate, but it can be exposed too. Just get a bin that is opaque. Here you can see the entrance on the right.

20200627_141311.jpg

usameisje

Redmond,WA
I live in Seattle and have a reptifogger running so the humidity is not a problem- I’m able to achieve high enough humidity everywhere. How do you make your hide as warm as the rest of the enclosure?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It actually isn't quite as warm as other spots. I just make sure it stays above the 80° minimum. Generally it's about 85 during the day and drops to 81° at night. I think its relative coolness is because I have it buried under substrate. But that also helps keep the temp stable. The remainder of the enclosure ranges from 88° to 95° during the day. At night it ranges from 81° to 85°.