Testudo hermanni boettgeri Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Just adopted this little guy, Taco, from a source that obviously took great care of him. I have never been part of such a beautiful and healthy animal being adopted before. He has wonderful coloration and a great personality.

One photo shows him in his temporary winter enclosure, which is 2' by 3'. It will be upgraded to a large outdoor area when Spring is here.

Now I have to work on finding him a few girlfriends so he can pass on those beautiful genes of his.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hermann's are awfully pretty tortoises. I don't have any, but I really like them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow. He's a looker for sure. Lucky you. I hope you are able to breed him.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
A friend of mine hatches a few sporadicaly. I don't know which subspecies they are. They are cool, I hibernated them here for him in 2009.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Really nice...his shell is just beautiful.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
It's an Eastern, boettgeri.

Really easy to tell on him by the fourth vertebral scute and the humoral and femoral seams on the plastron. He's all Eastern!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The reason I ask is because the coloration and pattern looks like a Dalmatian, Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. But it's sometimes hard to tell on a young tortoise just by that alone because Easterns too can be very colorful when young. The 4th vertebral? Maybe the 5th vertebral? Are you referring to a "keyhole" pattern or lack of. It can also be present in both subspecies and almost always present in the nominate species. The humoral and femoral seams on the the plastron of both T. h. boettgeri and T. h. hercegovinensis are typically the same.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Yeah, I meant to say 5th vertebral, whoopsie!

I appreciate your thoughts on this. He was originally sold to the person from whom I adopted him as a CB Eastern, and that's what he looked like most to me.

However, I must admit, I am no expert in anything Testudo. I have just began to research deeper into them in the last 6 months or so, after having spoken to Chris Leone's success with them up in the cool climate of the Northeast.

Really interesting to hear your thoughts on it though. I'd love to share more photos with you now or in the future if you'd be interested.

Thank you!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Actually mine and your climate is much more similar to each others than either is to Chris'. He is a friend of mine and I've been to his place quite a few times. He lives in southern NJ where it is about 10+ degrees warmer overall year round than here where I live in New York State in the Catskill Mountains. Elevation plays a large role too, I am at about 2,400' above sea level. He is nearly at sea level. So my temperatures are mild in the summer, often with cool, damp nights. Winters are long and often below freezing temperatures. Despite that Testudo species have fluorished here for nearly 30 years. Some even brumate outdoors. In the past I've kept many species of tortoises from other climates and several different turtle species with very good sucess too. As long as they have the right accomodations they'll all do well in our climate.
Feel free to pm or email me anytime!

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
GBtortoises said:
The reason I ask is because the coloration and pattern looks like a Dalmatian, Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. But it's sometimes hard to tell on a young tortoise just by that alone because Easterns too can be very colorful when young. The 4th vertebral? Maybe the 5th vertebral? Are you referring to a "keyhole" pattern or lack of. It can also be present in both subspecies and almost always present in the nominate species. The humoral and femoral seams on the the plastron of both T. h. boettgeri and T. h. hercegovinensis are typically the same.

For what its worth, hercegovinensis was synonimized with boettgeri a number of years ago.

GBtortoises said:

For what its worth, hercegovinensis was synonimized with boettgeri a number of years ago.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Actually they're considered two different subspecies by most people today. Especially here in America and Germany, two of the leading "tortoise" countries. There are two very detailed and extensive books which point out the distinct differences between the two subspecies as well as many articles and posts on each. I have several adults and young of both subspecies here and there are very distinct differences.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
How recent are the papers? I know there was one in 2006 the strongly refuted hercegovinensis as a separate subspecies...Fritz, et. al. (I can provide the full citation if necessary)

Status
Not open for further replies.