Thanks for not Being Trolls

Cicitina

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I have just come to realize how toxic Facebook groups are and how much of a safe space this forum is.
I had removed myself from Facebook for 5 years but recently rejoined to connect with people after a big move. I made the mistake of joining a couple tortoise groups.
At first they were friendly and welcoming. But then I made my second mistake of commenting on a post. (Someone housing two tortoise together and mentioned signs of what sounded like bullying) I suggested tortoises shouldn’t be housed together and then came the trolls.
Oh the trolls…telling me to do my research and stop spreading false information.
I am not a confrontational person so I will never reply to these people or further these negative conversations. But this was something I learned from my research and time spent on this forum speaking with the many professionals and avid keepers here.
I just needed to come back to my safe pace and thank everyone here for always being so kind, even when correcting others it’s done more eloquently than just accusing others of being “wrong” and swarming them and basically shaming them to the ground (while I still feel like I am correct here, and feel for these tortoises)
Thank you Tortoise Forum

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have just come to realize how toxic Facebook groups are and how much of a safe space this forum is.
I had removed myself from Facebook for 5 years but recently rejoined to connect with people after a big move. I made the mistake of joining a couple tortoise groups.
At first they were friendly and welcoming. But then I made my second mistake of commenting on a post. (Someone housing two tortoise together and mentioned signs of what sounded like bullying) I suggested tortoises shouldn’t be housed together and then came the trolls.
Oh the trolls…telling me to do my research and stop spreading false information.
I am not a confrontational person so I will never reply to these people or further these negative conversations. But this was something I learned from my research and time spent on this forum speaking with the many professionals and avid keepers here.
I just needed to come back to my safe pace and thank everyone here for always being so kind, even when correcting others it’s done more eloquently than just accusing others of being “wrong” and swarming them and basically shaming them to the ground (while I still feel like I am correct here, and feel for these tortoises)
Thank you Tortoise Forum
You are a good person. Ignore the FB fools and enjoy your time on the TFO.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep, FB groups are filled with all kinds of wrong. I am only on one but not often. I will and do confront, to me it's an animals life at stake. I give the advice and always refer them to this forum where they can read all the correct info. Its about 50/50 with some listening and those that don't. However, I bet if any of the trollers read up on this forum, most will change their ways, they just won't ever admit it.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Yep, FB groups are filled with all kinds of wrong. I am only on one but not often. I will and do confront, to me it's an animals life at stake. I give the advice and always refer them to this forum where they can read all the correct info. Its about 50/50 with some listening and those that don't. However, I bet if any of the trollers read up on this forum, most will change their ways, they just won't ever admit it.
I’m just amazed at the amount of people who jumped on me over this comment and started bringing up other species of tortoises that live together as their facts and findings, the tortoises in question were Marginated.
Not a single person came to support me, only the ones that wanted to call me out on false information with their false information 😂
Safe to say I will only remain on this site and never again leave a single comment on Facebook

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
When I started living with tortoises, I joined every tortoise group that I could find... that was a mistake.

They're jammed with hostile know-nothings and run by petty tyrants for the most part.

I'm now down to just a couple of groups, and mainly use them to share and enjoy pictures of tortoises... my main advice when people post questions about care is to enjoy FB for pics and visit TFO for information.

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
When I started living with tortoises, I joined every tortoise group that I could find... that was a mistake.

They're jammed with hostile know-nothings and run by petty tyrants for the most part.

I'm now down to just a couple of groups, and mainly use them to share and enjoy pictures of tortoises... my main advice when people post questions about care is to enjoy FB for pics and visit TFO for information.

Jamie

But come here for the PIX too! 😀
6938A956-7E36-41C8-9005-89B9D15403A6.jpeg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am on many fb groups. I have learned the "friendly" groups are not. It's their way or no way. People voicing their opinions, even based on personal experiences, are not allowed. The leaders only are allowed to give advice. If you give a second way of doing something, it's off with your nose... OK, so you are only put in time out for several days. Do it again, your banned.

The unfriendly groups are really nice. There is even a good one run by a member in here. All the groups give some good advice at time and increase your knowledge. Groups are like keepers, no one place knows it all. Nobody is a real expert.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I’m just amazed at the amount of people who jumped on me over this comment and started bringing up other species of tortoises that live together as their facts and findings, the tortoises in question were Marginated.
Not a single person came to support me, only the ones that wanted to call me out on false information with their false information 😂
Safe to say I will only remain on this site and never again leave a single comment on Facebook
Could it have been how you presented the comment?

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
I am on many fb groups. I have learned the "friendly" groups are not. It's their way or no way. People voicing their opinions, even based on personal experiences, are not allowed. The leaders only are allowed to give advice. If you give a second way of doing something, it's off with your nose... OK, so you are only put in time out for several days. Do it again, your banned.

The unfriendly groups are really nice. There is even a good one run by a member in here. All the groups give some good advice at time and increase your knowledge. Groups are like keepers, no one place knows it all. Nobody is a real expert.
Well put, I’d like to know of any actual decent groups to join where you aren’t met with hostility and opinions are turned to debates where everyone can participate and it’s not turned into verbal attacks.l

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well put, I’d like to know of any actual decent groups to join where you aren’t met with hostility and opinions are turned to debates where everyone can participate and it’s not turned into verbal attacks.l
Even in here, debates can end up as attacks, we just tend to moderate it more. Lol My first advice is to avoid all the "friendly" ones then.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I’ve been wondering that, let me know!
This comment is directed toward Marginated tortoises as it’s a group specific to them
View attachment 341994
I have never had Marginated myself. Given that statement, I can see why you drew negatives. You made folks feel under attack. You made "always" type statements and as always in life, there are exceptions and things to do to try to make those exceptions work.

The written language is about the worse way to communicate. We miss those sometimes very subtle clues as to what and how something is being said. Things such as tone and facial expressions, body language.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
I have never had Marginated myself. Given that statement, I can see why you drew negatives. You made folks feel under attack. You made "always" type statements and as always in life, there are exceptions and things to do to try to make those exceptions work.

The written language is about the worse way to communicate. We miss those sometimes very subtle clues as to what and how something is being said. Things such as tone and facial expressions, body language.
The tone was definitely missed I must admit that. I’ve felt attacked by comments like this myself before but they were more direct. I thought a smile and a compliment would help soften it but I guess I missed the mark

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The tone was definitely missed I must admit that. I’ve felt attacked by comments like this myself before but they were more direct. I thought a smile and a compliment would help soften it but I guess I missed the mark
It can help and certainly always try. You did good to give your thoughts. Try to ignore those hurtful remarks you got. All sides need to be heard and then the keeper can make their own choices.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Haven’t seen many tortoise groups on Facebook since I got banned in a chunk of them for stating coil bulbs shouldn’t be used for tortoises lol… Also got yelled at for saying that a grassland tortoise’s ideal diet is high in… You guessed it… Grasses… Not missing out at all. This site is a much nicer community, direct line to people with experience in breeding and keeping.
Facebook as a platform is simply horrendous…

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I once made the same mistake a few years back. Someone posted a picture asking what these pink lines coming from their scutes was. I was the first to comment and made the mistake to post that he didn’t need to worry as it was just new growth. I was attacked left and right after someone said that it wasn’t new growth and that the tortoise needed to be seen by a vet immediately because he had septicemia. A couple of hours later, once the original person posted more pictures. They had all agreed again that it was indeed new growth. After that I decided to never again try to join a Facebook group.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
I once made the same mistake a few years back. Someone posted a picture asking what these pink lines coming from their scutes was. I was the first to comment and made the mistake to post that he didn’t need to worry as it was just new growth. I was attacked left and right after someone said that it wasn’t new growth and that the tortoise needed to be seen by a vet immediately because he had septicemia. A couple of hours later, once the original person posted more pictures. They had all agreed again that it was indeed new growth. After that I decided to never again try to join a Facebook group.
This blows my mind. The amount of hurtful ignorance out there just makes no sense to me…

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Thank you Tortoise Forum
I am not a Facebook user for that reason. Welcome to normal world exchanges.