the peril of pebbles

mpr2101

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
We recently moved into a new house with an enclosed front garden -- brick walls on three sides, a wooden fence that goes about 6" into the ground on the 4th. The previous owners did to develop the garden, and as a result it's mostly just bare soil, some flagstones, a couple of small trees, and a few decorative boulder-like rocks. It seems to me to be an ideal outdoor enclosure for our Russian tortoise - except for the large number of pebbles in the yard (looks like someone attempted to gravel it over, and gave up 1/3 of the way through).

Question is: how worried should I be about the pebbles? I've read varying accounts about the dangers of rocks to tortoises -- on the one hand, they might eat them and get sick; on the other, they live in the desert, where presumably they're apt to encounter small rocks.

Any advice? We already have an enclosure in the backyard for the tortoise, but the front garden is much bigger, and would seem to offer good roaming room -- as long as it's safe.

Thanks so much for any and all insight.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome. I don't know about Russian tortoises - there are experts on them that will soon come along and help you with good advice.
All tortoises do not live in the desert and they all need moisture and shade to some extent, but they are curious and may attempt to swallow a rock for sure, so I would not have them on a substrate of rocks/gravel anyway.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I find that if they are fed a good high fiber weedy, leafy diet, they are much less prone to eating pebbles and rocks. If you feed a lot of grocery store food, then I'd be more concerned. Either way it is a risk, but many tortoises live outside with access to rocks and pebbles. I'd pick up or bury as much as you can.

Also, how about security in the front yard? Wouldn't want someone passing by to see the tortoise and steal it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How about some pictures of your tortoise and garden?

mpr2101

Chicago
hello, and thanks for all of your replies! Here is the garden -- as you can see, pretty bare right now, though that can change. As for food, she eats about 50/50 weedy stuff from the back garden (dandelions, geraniums, things like that) and grocery store food (kale, arugula, bok choy). I'd like to increase the weedy-stuff ratio; just have to get it growing. The way the house is situated, I don't think there's much likelihood of someone stealing her -- though we don't leave her outside overnight, or when we're out of the house.

while I'm asking questions: any suggestions for plants to plant that she'd be safe with?

Attachments

• IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 25

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Well it certainly is spacious and allows lots of room for improvement! You can provide some earth, potted plants, two or more hides, water pool, etc. etc. Great potential. It's like an empty canvas and you are the artist!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How about a top later of decorative mulch or sod?
However, I agree with @Tom. If all nutritional needs are met. My tortoises don't eat rocks either.
I leave cuttlebone around just in case they DO want to ingest calcium or minerals that they lack.
By the way, I LOVE that space. Your Russian will also. You know how skilled at escape they are, correct?
Be sure to escape proof the fence/gate part.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hello, and thanks for all of your replies! Here is the garden -- as you can see, pretty bare right now, though that can change. As for food, she eats about 50/50 weedy stuff from the back garden (dandelions, geraniums, things like that) and grocery store food (kale, arugula, bok choy). I'd like to increase the weedy-stuff ratio; just have to get it growing. The way the house is situated, I don't think there's much likelihood of someone stealing her -- though we don't leave her outside overnight, or when we're out of the house.

while I'm asking questions: any suggestions for plants to plant that she'd be safe with?
Here is a list of good plants:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

mpr2101

Chicago
Ok sorry... last question: are the leaves on the ground safe for her to eat? I think they're from maple trees. She was outside yesterday without showing any interest in them, but today I caught her noshing one.