The point of that little scale dip by the neck?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
What is the point of that little scale dip by the neck of tortoise and turtles?
Not very clear :( but here's a pic- 75638-a7bf53284e40842640c4c255002994af.jpg- what is that? I've been noticing it on EVERYBODY, including the turtles. Kind of seems careless not to have seen it before but :rolleyes:
I was guessing it allows their head to stretch higher, to reach higher vegetation or something, but that doesn't apply for the turtles, does it?
Thank you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises have a little scute in that 'v' above the head, and if so, it's called a nuchal scute. Some species do not have a nuchal scute. It's just their design. I doubt it has a purpose.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh nooooooo....here come the debate posts....I am outta here.....not even going to the bleachers, I don't want to see the potential havoc...lol....:p
:eek: Wait! Before you leave :p do you know if there is a particular purpose for the 'nuchal scute'? (I have laughed way too much today...)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
:eek: Wait! Before you leave :p do you know if there is a particular purpose for the 'nuchal scute'? (I have laughed way too much today...)

I always thought it was a good neck scratcher....lol...that is all that is coming from me on the subject of the little nub.....:p

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I will not debate and I will take the neck scratcher as the purpose of that scute. :rolleyes:LOL! ! !