Then/Now...Leopard Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Tico is now around 8 months old and doing great! Here are a few shots from when he was around 3-4 months to present.

Enjoy! (Phone pics, I'll get the wife to take better shots soon.)

036-1.jpg

194e.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

And a few to show his shell growth...

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tico has really grown, your doing a great job, and good photo's even with your phone..

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Congratulations on the best looking tortoise! That is some serious growth.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
He looks super smooth! My little chubby girls from the same batch are not quite so perfect. Tico is the winner!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Oh my goodness...I am stunned at how much she has grown in the that small time-frame. She is also absolutely stunning and you are doing fabulous with her shell!!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That has to be one of the most beautiful Leopards I have ever seen!! Stunning :)

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Thanks everyone, I think his head just blew up some more from all the nice comments.

I'm trying my best to keep him happy and healthy and now that it's been warming up he has been spending a lot of time outside in the sun.

Edna you were having that issue early on right, did you ever get a humid hide put together for them? I really think that Tico's shell is a result of his constant use of his humid hide (among other things, not trying to start a debate!;))?

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
TortieLuver said:
Oh my goodness...I am stunned at how much she has grown in the that small time-frame. She is also absolutely stunning and you are doing fabulous with her shell!!!

Christy I forgot to ask is this some sort of tort intuition, I think you are the only one who has referred to Tico as a 'Her'?? That would be cool if it's some sort of sign...Would have to change the name to Tica ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're talking about babies from Tom, right? I'm pretty sure my two are male.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:

Apparently adult males are very hard to come by, so you may be sitting on gold in the next few years there Yvonne.:D

Tico looks fantastic as usual. I have found a big correlation between faster AND smoother growth for the ones that favor the humid hide boxes more than the ones that don't. Mine are about half and half right now. I'm going to line them all up one at a time and get straight on profile shots of mine soon. Just need to find the time. I'm also contemplating "forced" humid hide box usage for overnight for the ones that choose to sleep out in the open. So often we all assume the torts know what's best for themselves. Maybe sometimes they don't.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
emysemys said:

Yes, Tico is from Tom. Can you tell already or is it more of a guess? I could play the sex game, will have to get a palstron shot in the morning.

Tom said:
emysemys said:

Apparently adult males are very hard to come by, so you may be sitting on gold in the next few years there Yvonne.:D

Tico looks fantastic as usual. I have found a big correlation between faster AND smoother growth for the ones that favor the humid hide boxes more than the ones that don't. Mine are about half and half right now. I'm going to line them all up one at a time and get straight on profile shots of mine soon. Just need to find the time. I'm also contemplating "forced" humid hide box usage for overnight for the ones that choose to sleep out in the open. So often we all assume the torts know what's best for themselves. Maybe sometimes they don't.

Tico rarely sleeps outside of his humid hide, I'd go as far as saying that 80% of his inside time is spent in there.

As far as males being rare, how is breeding done? Are they studded out (paid vs. pick of the litter) or is it one of those things where you just have to know someone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are only two breeders of legitimate Gpp that I know of in the US. One in Florida and the one here in CA where ours came from. I'm sure there are others, there must be, but I don't know of them. I do know of at least two unscrupulous sellers that claim to produce their own, but actually buy them from one of the two known breeders. I also recently just discovered that a friends leopards that we have talked about numerous times are actually pp. They've had them for 20 years or so and they are both great big females. I'm anxiously awaiting pics and plan to go out there for a visit next week. My friends are about a two hour drive from me, but I see them at work from time to time.

When I handpicked the 36 that all of ours came from, I was careful not to pick more than 2 or 3 from the same clutch. There were a bunch to choose from and they all hatched out of different nests in different pens. I was then pretty careful about sending out unrelated pairs and groups to the people who bought multiples. My hope is that at least some of us stay in touch and we can do swaps or breeding loans when they all start hitting maturity and we all know for sure what we've got as far as the sexes. I'm also gonna try like heck to talk my friends out of their two big females. They are just casual tortoise owners and I might be able to convince them to let me "borrow" them on a breeding loan or buy them.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
ticothetort2 said:
Tico is now around 8 months old and doing great! Here are a few shots from when he was around 3-4 months to present.

Enjoy! (Phone pics, I'll get the wife to take better shots soon.)

036-1.jpg

194e.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

And a few to show his shell growth...

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

I didn't know they could grow that fast. What a beautiful tortoise.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
After seeing those pics all I can say is Wow! You have a disproportionatley large thumb. But at least your Tort seems to be growing well and his shell looks smooth. I'm really shocked at how fast tico has grown in just 8 months......wow!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
emysemys said:

Not sure if you can tell from this pic, I'm sure it's still to early to tell.

IMAG0182.jpg

[/quote]

I didn't know they could grow that fast. What a beautiful tortoise.
[/quote]

Neither did I! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.