Thermostat placement and which heat source as main.

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Ok I'm at this point and need to get my butt in gear.

I made Tom's double night box

I know it's an either or for the heat source. But I'm doing both but mostly to have back up heat if it's needed or the other fails. I don't want to have to be without heat not even for a second.

So as you can see I have the mini oil filled radiator and a Kane heat mat. The heat panel is not installed yet. I'll do that this week.

What I want to know is which do I want to use as the main heat source? Kane mat and heat panel or radiant oil heat?

I will be duplicating the heat mat and panel on the other side too. Bumblebee is not ready to be outside full time so I only set up the side for Optimus Prime.

Last question where to set up the thermostat probes?

Attachments

• IMG_20240509_134914358_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240509_134914358_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would go with the radiator. However, if it doesn't get that cold there, I'm in Chicago, then the other two would probably work just as good. They all need to be on a thermostat so maybe go with whatever is easier or cheaper to run.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok I'm at this point and need to get my butt in gear.

I made Tom's double night box

I know it's an either or for the heat source. But I'm doing both but mostly to have back up heat if it's needed or the other fails. I don't want to have to be without heat not even for a second.

So as you can see I have the mini oil filled radiator and a Kane heat mat. The heat panel is not installed yet. I'll do that this week.

What I want to know is which do I want to use as the main heat source? Kane mat and heat panel or radiant oil heat?

I will be duplicating the heat mat and panel on the other side too. Bumblebee is not ready to be outside full time so I only set up the side for Optimus Prime.

Last question where to set up the thermostat probes?
Use the mini to maintain ambient.

If the others are back ups, you can set them lower. If you set them the same, they can all run at the same time, and that won't hurt anything.

I would turn the mat 90 degrees, and secure that cord to the wall.

Megatron's Mom

Use the mini to maintain ambient.

If the others are back ups, you can set them lower. If you set them the same, they can all run at the same time, and that won't hurt anything.

I would turn the mat 90 degrees, and secure that cord to the wall.
Thanks, I wondered about the mat placement.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom where about do I place the thermostat for the radiator and the one heat mat?
I like to run the thermostat probes as far from the heat sources as I can and fairly low down the wall. This ensures that the lowest temperature in the box stays at or above my set point. Areas closer to the heat sources and farther from the probes will be warmer.

Megatron's Mom

I like to run the thermostat probes as far from the heat sources as I can and fairly low down the wall. This ensures that the lowest temperature in the box stays at or above my set point. Areas closer to the heat sources and farther from the probes will be warmer.
That was my plan for the radiator. I just wasn't sure how to set it up for the heat panel and heat mat.

Megatron's Mom

Hi @Tom what do think is better, 1st picture or second? Originally I thought the first., since it's further away from the door. Leaving more space away from all the heat sources.

Attachments

• IMG_20240606_152522957_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240606_152522957_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240606_152444389_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240606_152444389_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi @Tom what do think is better, 1st picture or second? Originally I thought the first., since it's further away from the door. Leaving more space away from all the heat sources.
I like the second picture.

And your method of hanging the RHP is genius. I've been mounting mine on the ceiling for years. I like this WAYYYY better. These are the types of little innovations that I have enjoyed from this forum for over a decade now. So many smart people here with novel solutions to everyday tortoise problems.

Megatron's Mom

I like the second picture.

And your method of hanging the RHP is genius. I've been mounting mine on the ceiling for years. I like this WAYYYY better. These are the types of little innovations that I have enjoyed from this forum for over a decade now. So many smart people here with novel solutions to everyday tortoise problems.
Thank you, thank you.