They eat anything...

RIO'S MOM

Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern U.S.A.
6-7 days seems like a long time how big is Rio? Impaction seems unlikely as rubber bands are small but I’d imagine it could have wrapped around intestine possibly and could require a vet. Maybe high water content food until you can get him seen.
He's about 13"long. It was wrapped around dandelions stems. He's peeing that pee that usually comes out when he poops. But, no poop. He's on my lap right now. I always wrap him in a huge incontinence pad, just because I don't want accidents on my lap and it helps keep him warm. 8th day, now.
I have been doing his warm sink jacuzzi baths to keep him hydrated as possible, every day, since it happened.
My brother is an exotics vet in another state. He suggested a surgical unit at the most local animal surgical center, if it comes to that. I fear this amount of days is excessive, to say the least.
We can't afford surgery for this!!!
He also suggested high fiber and greens to help it pass.

I was just hoping someone knew another option from experience.

He doesn't appear in distress at all. I am just so concerned at this length of time between poops.

Please pray for Rio... ❤️❤️

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Deeper warm water soaks....so your torty has to paddle and scramble around, coupled with cucumber/aloe slices for snacks... you definitely want the intestinal tract to be well hydrated, super soaked and lubed. Good luck..

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.
In examining his poop since this all started almost 3 weeks ago for evidence of rubber band, I notice pieces of bark from his substrata that would seem a bigger challenge to pass. I'm hopeful that the rubber band will come soon! I'm only alarmed because the pooping stopped...

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I've never found anything strange in our tort's poops, but when our oldest daughter was a newborn, I kept having to buy baby rags. I couldn't figure out how we kept losing them. When spring came and I went out in our backyard, I found them. Our Great Dane had been eating them off the side of the tub and pooped them out all over our back yard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's about 13"long. It was wrapped around dandelions stems. He's peeing that pee that usually comes out when he poops. But, no poop. He's on my lap right now. I always wrap him in a huge incontinence pad, just because I don't want accidents on my lap and it helps keep him warm. 8th day, now.
I have been doing his warm sink jacuzzi baths to keep him hydrated as possible, every day, since it happened.
My brother is an exotics vet in another state. He suggested a surgical unit at the most local animal surgical center, if it comes to that. I fear this amount of days is excessive, to say the least.
We can't afford surgery for this!!!
He also suggested high fiber and greens to help it pass.

I was just hoping someone knew another option from experience.

He doesn't appear in distress at all. I am just so concerned at this length of time between poops.

Please pray for Rio... ❤️❤️
Leaving a tortoise in a LARGE tub of water, for a very long time - like an hour - causes them to poop. The bath tub works well.

RIO'S MOM

Northeastern U.S.A.
hdr_1527601773256.jpg Aloe alone didn't tempt him too much.:(
I fed them to him the night before, but he only picked at them a little.

So, yesterday morning I gave him aloe bits, 3 banana slices and a bit of cheribundi juice in the Cuisinart, with moistened Mazuri Tort diet. Then poured that over the rest of the banana.

He rarely ever poops in his bath.... But, he ALWAYS poops in the shower curtain fence enclosure in the living room... Almost always. It didn't work last week.:(:(:(

So, I made up this special 'cereal crack' mix, described above, and brought him up to watch Daddy play XBox. He ate 90% of everything! He was running out of room for the cereal mix, :eek: something had to go!
:tort::tort::tort:
so, following a very labored grunt and push, Rio offered up 4 healthy turds. YAAAY :D More room for 'cereal crack.'

Finally, on day 8, the aloe worked!!
:):):)
Omg! I am so relieved.

Thank you all. I'm going to put aloe into his meals wherever I can and continue the warm sink Jacuzzi baths, daily, until I see that dread Rubberband emerge.

Rio thanks you all! His Mom wants to hugg you all. :<3::tort::<3:

Last edited: